Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

boat vs. bank

Old 07-15-2008, 07:49 PM
Spike

Default boat vs. bank

Took the boat out Monday for the first dedicated bowfishing trip, went out first thing in the morning so no lights, had quite a few shots between two of us but we didn't connect. To be honest i thought we'd see a few more fish than we did, but the water was a little murky from some rain last week. So i'm wondering if its worth the trouble of taking the boat to bowfish. If I had fished from the bank for the 8 or so hours we were out, i could've cleaned up, comparatively speaking. But we lost the trolling battery after about 6 hours, so things were difficult after that. Want to try a few different places before i get too discouraged. I Also wouldn't mind goin at night, this would be key as the fish are more active, Right? All the fish we shot at were on the bank or in 1 to 2 feet of water at the back of coves. Is it worth the extra effort? Hit me up with some tips, I'm a newbie.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: boat vs. bank

I've spent many hours and walked many milesbustin' brush and bank fishing and it can wear a fellow out. I've twisted ankles, ruined shoes, drained canteens dryand found myself wishing that I'd just died as a baby while treating poison ivy... fought nations of fire ants too.

I've gotten waybigger counts from a boat, and this with a cooler full of cold drinks and sandwiches within easy reach the whole time... not to mention the heavenly sensation of shooting fish while barefooted!

Boats rule!

BP

P.S. You were asking about tips? If you don't already have them, rig a couple of shooting platforms to get more elevation. Mine are just plywood secured across the bow of a johnboat in a coupla' places and covered with outdoor carpet.

Those extra few inches of elevation can make for more effective shooting when you decide to 'unleash-the-fury'.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

BP pretty much summed it all up. All I can say is that the boat at night beats walking the bank in the hot Texas sun
Old 07-16-2008, 07:44 PM
Spike

Yes, I will look into rigging my boat as you guys suggest. Thanks, this is what I was looking for. I`ve all but abandoned rod and reel fishing, If I have a boat with platforms, lights, and a cooler, I will more than likely give away my poles. Thx again fellas.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:38 PM

boat, not even a comparison, IMO. Ill post up some pics of my boat this afternoon now that it is finished, for now anyway, and give some people some ideas.