Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 How do I prevent shot carp from escaping? >

How do I prevent shot carp from escaping?

Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

How do I prevent shot carp from escaping?

Old 04-27-2008, 01:28 AM

Default How do I prevent shot carp from escaping?

Today I was bowfishing for the first time where I had the chance to take more than just a couple shots. I cleanly hit 10 that were on my line but 5 of them managed to pull off of the arrow before getting them in. My friend got 2 in and had 3 that were on his arrow escape. We were using the Muzzy shure shot penetrator points, is that not a good point to hold fish? Would the Stingray point be better for holding fish? Or is there anything else you would suggest? Or is it just normal to have around half your shot fish escape? They weren't carp that were barely hit that were escaping, they were shot right through the middle of the body and pulling of.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:04 AM
Spike

Default RE: How do I prevent shot carp from escaping?

I use Muzzy's quick release carp point, I've never had much trouble having fish come off but ive had a few, it happens i guess. Never used the sure shot, but I would recommend using this point. what poundage are you shooting? Maybe you have some penetration issues. I hit my points with a file before i head out to make sure it's as sharp as possible. Just hang in there, try some different points, you'll find something that works well for you. Good luck!!!!
Old 04-27-2008, 06:13 AM
Spike

Well from your other posts i know now you shoot 65 lbs. You definitly should take a file with you to keep the point sharp or order extras (if possible). Doesn't pulling 65# to shoot carp wear on you? Maybe you could try to find a nice used bow w/ lower#age. I shoot50# and have connected on "haymakers" from 10 to 15 yds before (I get lucky sometimes)
Old 04-27-2008, 07:18 AM
Typical Buck

The setup i use is an onieda talon at 50 pounds with penetrator points i have a few pull offs but not many if you use these and have trouble try to spread the barbs with pliers works well......take heart knowing theres gonna be few get away keep shooting and have a good summer....
Old 04-27-2008, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

HC, sounds like a couple of things might be happening. What kind of points do you use? The econo or river points are notorious for poor performance. Use a good point like Muzzy, Shure Shot, Cajun or Innerloc.

Second, what does your arrow flight look like? If your arrow flies at an angle it will tear a bigger hole and that will allow the fish to pull off.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:26 AM
Fork Horn

I know a couple of people that shoot those tips with out any issues. Biggestissue I've heard about them is big fish spinning the tip enough that the barbs reverse. I've heard that if you pinch the wires together some it helps preventsuch a big hole in soft fish.

Good luck.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:12 AM
Fork Horn

I use 'warheads' on soft fish like carp and Tilapia and lose very few.

I use a quick-release type of loop so that I can easily and quickly untie my arrow for shoot-throughs. This helps with the warheads as they tend to unscrew after several shots, so now, I just glue the warheads tight, and pull-through, untie, retie for shots that connect.

If I see a fish that looks like it's about to come off of the point, I'll try to work my way down to where the fish is so that I can grab the shaft and hoist it out of the water, rather than trying to reel him in which can tear the barbs loose.

BP
Old 04-27-2008, 12:02 PM

I bet maybe the problem was the dull points and distance of the shots. I think I put a picture up so you can see it, but we were shooting from a 10 to 12 foot high bank and allot of the shots were on carp from close to the bank to around 10 yards or a little farther away from the bank. So maybe that with the points that were a little dull kept some of the shots from going all the way through. I did notice that most of the ones that got away had the point in the middle of the fish when pulling them in instead of all the way through, but on some of the shots the arrow went clear through the entire fish. The bow I used is set at 55lbs and the one I let my freind borrow was 65 so it seemed like we still hit the fish pretty hard. Would that steep of an angle be a disadvantage? It did make accuracy much easier! I really appreciate the tips, I don't know anyone who bowfishes to help me so I am learning as I go.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 04-27-2008, 02:22 PM
Fork Horn

I've found that beingelevated helps with penetration.

When I'm up high and shoot down on Gar, for example, they almost always end up as shoot-throughs and way up on the line.

Once, when I was new to bowfishing, I was using 40# test mono and lost 3 arrows in one afternoon 'cause I was shooting through gar, off of a high bank and the scales kept cutting the line!

Since I've gone to fast-flight (200#), that hasn't happened again. Looks like big carp too that you're shooting too. Sometimes it's hard to get the point all the way through those big 'uns.
BP
Old 04-27-2008, 08:16 PM
Fork Horn

Some of them carp are armor plated. At least in Tablerock. Christine can verify arrows just bouncing off some of them. Those big scales can be tough to penetrate. One trick I heard of is dulling the point and taking quartering away shots so the arrow slips in between the scales. Also, as suggested, watch your arrow. If it fishtails, it won't penetrate.

Quick Reply: How do I prevent shot carp from escaping?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.