Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 Houston Bowfishing Classic- HBC 2008 >

Houston Bowfishing Classic- HBC 2008

Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

Houston Bowfishing Classic- HBC 2008

Old 03-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Spike

Default Houston Bowfishing Classic- HBC 2008

Hello to all, my name is Dustin Houston and I am the founder of the HBC. This year will mark the third year of our tournament(I willpost all records/results). This is a 2-person shoot that goes from 8 A.M. to 8 P.M. on Saturday June 21st. Our check-in is near Monticello, IN and is an open shoot with boundaries being any tributary of the Wabash River in northcentral Indiana. Local waters are the Wabash and Tippecanoe Rivers and Lake Shafer and Lake Freeman. There are a lot of other shooting areas within a short distance also. We are a BAA sanctioned tournament and have had great success in our few years of existence. We pay out top three in total numbers, big fish infour categories (buffalo/common/bighead/silver carp, grass carp,gar, and bowfin), smallest fish, and average joe. We pay out a combination of cash and prizes. We have had great support from several notable businesses like Muzzy Products, Cajun Archery, Sportman's Warehouse, and many more. We are approximately 25 miles north of Lafayette, IN and 7 miles south of Monticello, IN. We determine payouts by the number of participants and also donate a part of the entry fees to Fishing Has No Boundaries. This is a national organization with a local chapter in Monticello that takes people with special needs boating and fishing. I am extending an invitation to anyone who is interested to come and join us. It is best to have flat bottom boats that can run in shallow water because our rivers are usually low during the time of the tournament. The lakes are an option to shoot, but the spawn on them is usually in the third week of may, so shooting is "slower." The Tippy where we are is below the Oakdale Dam which drains all the fish from both lakes, so the abundance and diversity of fish is unreal. Grass carp have appeared in the last two years and are "infesting" our waters at a alarming rate. We've had guys shoot the ever evasive "flying fish" on the Wabash too! Shoot me an email if you are interested and I can send you the entry/info. letter. I was really glad that David Randolph contacted me and I hope that I canmeet a lot of you and shoot for some "Blood, Guts, and Carp Eggs!" For those who are interested, I also host a 3-man night shoot in August. Thanks for viewing my post. Dustin