Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 When to bowfish? Wisconsin >

When to bowfish? Wisconsin

Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

When to bowfish? Wisconsin

Old 03-05-2008, 07:36 PM
Spike

Default When to bowfish? Wisconsin

I am hoping to shoot a few carp with my bow this year. I'm not a huge fisherman, but love to bow hunt. I am planning on shooting Carp. I assume the best time to do this is while they spawn?? I live in Wisconsin, when is it they typically start to spawn? If I remember its spring, but I am looking for some confirmation. Anything else in Wisconsin waters I can shoot with my bow?

Thank you.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: When to bowfish? Wisconsin

Hey Windog,

Wisconsin has a bowfishing club you might want to hook up with.
http://www.wibfa.com/

Also, the guy below is hosting a bowfishing tournament, and may have some answers for you. Not sureif he's with the club.
Jim Rand 608-385-9396

Good luck.
-Bulz
Old 03-09-2008, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bulzeye

Hey Windog,

Wisconsin has a bowfishing club you might want to hook up with.
http://www.wibfa.com/

Also, the guy below is hosting a bowfishing tournament, and may have some answers for you. Not sureif he's with the club.
Jim Rand 608-385-9396

Good luck.
-Bulz
Yeah Jim is in our Club. I don't know if he is running the tourny this year or not or if my cousin is but yeah we have 2 club tournys every year in Trempealeau, WI and then all around the area the is a tourny at a club every weekend from about the first weekend in may till mid june and then a couple here and there throughout the summer........ You really prolly arent looking to shoot tournys I supose but shootin fsih is always fun. We shoot about 5 days a week at night and during the days for the tournys on saturdays. You can shoot fish right now on Petenwell and other areas like that right now in the winter but can be tough sometime or can be easy as heck. Then the season closes for a lil bit and opens towards 20ish of april and goes all year again till march somthing. Best time to shoot fish is the spawn which runs dependeing on diff water anywhere from mid may till early July with first week of June being some of the best shooting. Realisticlally you can shoot fish all year round though exspecially at night... You can shoot any ruff fish species ou want legally and its a blast. I can wait for the ice to come off and the water to start warmin up....... So where you from in WI then?? Any other questions feel free to ask. WCL
Old 03-19-2008, 02:43 PM
Fork Horn

one of my friends was talking about bow fishing and it sounds like a blast. hunting and fishing combined!!! i i have a pse that maxes at 50 lbs(though i can pull more) i live in northeast wisconsin and i would like to know how to get started. gear, places i can shoot... anything and everything.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:11 PM

cherokee marsh/lake mendota is good from ice out till the last week in september. i have extra bows and a decentboat with lightsif anyone in the area wants to join just call me (608)-333-8107 or email me [email protected]