Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

Fuzz Reel Seat

Old 02-28-2008, 03:42 PM
Spike

Default Fuzz Reel Seat

has anyone used the fuzz reel seat...and have any opinions?

http://www.backwaterbowfishing.com/onlinestore/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=149

Old 02-28-2008, 05:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Fuzz Reel Seat

I have and use one part of the time like when I need the stabilizer bushing for my Hawg Lite. They work fine and the only thing I find not optimal is that with the weight of the reel high up on the side of the bow, there is a tendency to want to cant the bow but really no big deal.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like Rob said, it's the weight of the reel that high up on the bow that's the only 'draw-back' to them. I used one for about a year, till I found the reel-mounts that go in the stabilizer-holes. When you're at full-draw, you don't really notice the weight up there at all, but just holding the bow or when you're carrying it around, you'll notice it.

Personally, for the money, I think you're better off with the stabilizer-mounted ones.

Just my humble opinion.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've got a fuzz mount too.
It's relegated to the backup bow for the reasons stated above.
The off center weight is a real drag when holding the bow for hours.

On the bright side, it does give the bow a smaller profile to fit it in a case since the reel isn't sticking out from the front of the bow. They stay secure just fine and do the job they were designed for, but the balance is much better with a stabilizer mount or retreiver.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

The balance problem can be overcome somewhat by installing the fuzz mount BELOW the grip on the riser. Use aTraditional Mountto provide threaded holes in the right spot. (This will also let you put a stabilizer hole on a bow without any threaded inserts.)
http://www.amsbowfishing.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=58

The weight will still be off to the side, but because it is now below your grip, you won't have to fight it. Your bow will naturally cant, as mentioned above, but it'll just hang there instead of constantly wanting to fall to the side. I shoot fingers with my bow canted anyway, so the low mount works good for me, ...as a second or third choice of reel arrangement preferences.