Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 please help me set up this boat >

please help me set up this boat

Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

please help me set up this boat

Old 12-13-2007, 09:25 PM

Default please help me set up this boat

I'm planning on getting a 12' jon boat for duck hunting next year, but I was wondering how to set it up for bowfishing the best. I can't leave it in the water, but I have to keep it in an area by the water. This area is not visable to the surrounding houses, so I can't really put any lights on it or anything. In fact, we had the radio stolen out of our boat last year. Does anybody have any suggestions on what to use in this situation?
Old 12-14-2007, 09:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: please help me set up this boat

I have a 14' jon boat that I also use for duck hunting and bowfishing. What I did to use it for both is I built platforms in the front and back of the boat. My set up is not nearly as fancy as some of the boats on here, but we kill tons of fish out of it. Anyway, the platforms allow one shooter to stand up front and one in the back with the spot lighter in the middle. The person up front shoots and controls the trolling motor. The platforms keep you elevated, which allows you to see into the water better, but also are great for shotgunning if you are duck hunting a river or another place where you intend tohunt from the boat. These modifications will require you to drill into the frame of the boat, so if that bothers you, you may need to think of something else. I will try to get some pictures of myboat on here and I'll also try to give you a rough sketch and dimensions of the platforms. You can look at Cabelas or Bass Pro for boat blinds. There are tons of them out there for 12' boats. Good luck bud, and I'll try to get some pics up here for you.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Definitely do the platform. The difference in refraction with the steeper viewing angle is well worth it.

If you can't do permanently mounted lights and a generator, consider some DC lights with a removable mounting system, like clamps that sit on the gunwales. Not the brightest, longest lasting, or durable setup, but it may be the answer for your situation.

Make sure to use switches and wire that are large enough for the current you will be using. DC power is harder on components than AC is, and any unecessary electrical resistance heats things up faster too. You'll also want a dedicated battery (or two)for the lights, in addition to the one for your troller.

If you want to talk specifics, send me a PM.

-Chris
Old 12-15-2007, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is an example of one of my friend's boats with clamp-on AC lights.

-------------------------------
Below, these AClights are mounted to wooden 2x4"boards (or maybe 2x6") and layed onthe flat deckin the front of the boat. When it's time to trailer-up, they unplug and get tossed in the truck.

---------------------
This shows the typical light output from a 12volt DC lighting rig. As you can see, it's quite a bit less than the 120v AC / generator system above, but it works, and it'll get you fishing at night. Works best in clear water since they don't penetrate very deep.

Good luck.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:55 PM

Thanks for the replies. I won't be able to try these until I get the boat, which probably won't be until later in the winter, but I'll try to remember to post pics when I do them.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:09 PM

When I built my little 14ft john boat I ran 3ft sections of steel pipe out from the where the oarlocks drop in, then I made 2 little "pontoons" from 4ft sections of 10" PVC filled with that expanding foam...I built platforms that run across the whole thing and it's so stable you could do jumping jacs on it...don't go cheap on lights either.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Gingerbear

When I built my little 14ft john boat I ran 3ft sections of steel pipe out from the where the oarlocks drop in, then I made 2 little "pontoons" from 4ft sections of 10" PVC filled with that expanding foam...I built platforms that run across the whole thing and it's so stable you could do jumping jacs on it...don't go cheap on lights either.

you got any pics, i would like to see that set up, never heard of or seen anything like that.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:57 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Bulzeye

Bulzeye,

I was reading through some of these old posts and I noticed the lights on your boat. Will you please tell me what kind they are, where I can find them, and about what they run? Also, will a regular deep cycle battery run these lights? Thanks for your help.

Crow
Old 02-21-2008, 02:24 PM

you are really outa luck if you cant have portable lights about the only other decene option is to go and buy 2million candle power spot light.....i recommend a q-beam it concentrates the light a lot better that other lights. it runs of a a regular trolling motor batery.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

[blockquote]
quote:
ORIGINAL: Bulzeye

Bulzeye,

I was reading through some of these old posts and I noticed the lights on your boat. Will you please tell me what kind they are, where I can find them, and about what they run? Also, will a regular deep cycle battery run these lights? Thanks for your help.

Crow
Crowkilla, the only pic above that shows lights that will run on DC power (battery) is the bottom one. The others require a generator and run on AC power (like from the outlets in you house). If you want specific info on the DC lights, send a PM or email to JohnnyB. That's his boat, and he hangs out in the Illinois Bowfishers subforum here.

None of those pics above are of my boat.
I just do electrical work for a living, and help out here whenever I can.
My current little rig is below, and doesn't have any lights. It's small enough to make me think before I make a move, but I get decent fish with it.

[/blockquote]