Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 Excellent Silver Carp News Clip >

Excellent Silver Carp News Clip

Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

Excellent Silver Carp News Clip

Old 09-15-2006, 12:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default Excellent Silver Carp News Clip

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1708075
Old 09-15-2006, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Excellent Silver Carp News Clip

Those clips always amaze me, being someone who's never been on the water with these fish before. I wonder if rigging a good-sized jon boat (or 2...or 3..) with some nets sticking staight out all the way around it wouldn't help catch a bunch more of them jumping like that. If a few boats did it in these problem-areas often enough, I bet it would make a dent in the population relatively soon.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

It's legal to use a 15ft diameter 'dipnet' for carp in the Illinois River. I'm thinking you'd get a load of carp with a net like that. How you'd hold it, or where you'd find one.. I'm not sure.

You guys who haven't had the pleasure of having one of these fish slam you in the privates come out with us sometime. It's always great to see a new person get hit... heh heh.

Really tho'. It is a lot of fun. We might go out tonight and try it again.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:31 PM
Fork Horn

You need to go by day. And in that video they all look small, less than ten pounds. Wonder how many people would do that if the fish were 15-20 pounds like I mainly get jumpingaround here.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

We were out during the day yesterday (shooting video for a DVD). At one point we had at least 100 in the air.When the action was like that, Iwas too busy ducking instead of shooting. When I did attempt to shoot, I sucked anyway. I'm sure I'll be in the bloopers section...

Some of the silvers were quite large. (ask Kendall, he's bruised)

Later we turned the silvers into hot, fresh Chinese food.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

when you're just wanting to shoot them, you sneak up on them and they're just sitting there.

I went out today to the scene of the crime (from when I went with Carptracker). In almost the exact same spot (within a couple feet), another large one near twenty pounds jumped in. It almost landed in the barrel. If Nick had been with me, it would have landed in his lap. Instead, it bounced off the seat and out the other side.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Discharge, cubic feet per second

Most recent value: 20,500 09-15-2006 18:30

Yesterday the river was truly rolling. Logs were bouncing down the river. There wasn't much "just sitting there." Plus, chocolate milk is clearer than the river was yesterday. You should be able to see it on the video.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:54 AM
Fork Horn

which river were you on?
Old 09-19-2006, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry Fish, my picture is broken. We were out on the Illinois River. It normally runs at about 5-6000 cubic feet per second this time of year. When we were out, it was running at about 30-40,000 cubic feet per second. A pretty good increase.

Have you seen this article? http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/18/AR2006091800946.html

Our buddy Duane 'The Bounty Hunter' Chapman is quoted in it. Mmm... carp cakes!
Old 09-23-2006, 09:19 AM

How big are the silvers now, and how big do they get? They look like fun for sure.

Quick Reply: Excellent Silver Carp News Clip

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.