Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 What do you use? >

What do you use?

Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

What do you use?

Old 08-26-2006, 02:53 PM

Default What do you use?

I just got my bow setup and ready to go, and I was just curious as to what you guys use andhow much money you have in your rig and stuff like that, since I don't know anyone else that bowfishes. I got my retriever for christmas and bought my bow in mint condition hardly used off of a guy down my street for $55. So with arrow and tip im out about 85 bucks altogether, which seems like a good price to pay for as much fun as I have fishing!!
Old 08-26-2006, 06:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What do you use?

And with a retriever reel, that rig should last for years. Maybe a new string once in a while, and new tips for the arrows.

I use old cheapy recurves I got off ebay. Got tired of the weight of my old compound. Shoot muzzy tips with a retriever reel.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have 2 different rigs; a recurve with a Fuzz-mount and Synergy reel, and a Hoyt Raider compound with Fish-hook rest and Retriever reel.

I got the recurve (PSE Coyote)new, but at cost, for $100.00, $35 for the Fuzz-mount and $25.00 for the reel.

The Hoyt compound I got used for $50, the Retriever I got new, but at cost, about $25.00 and the Fish-hook rest was clearanced for $10.00.

My arrows are anywhere from $7.50 to $11.00 each. I have 4 different types, 6 arrows altogether.. All have Muzzy heads.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:31 PM
Typical Buck

my uncle got a new bow, so i got his other compound for free. then i bought a simple spool and bowfishing arrow for about 10 bucks.
i started bowfishing last year and i am having a blast!
Old 08-29-2006, 08:37 PM
Fork Horn

I'm an ebay abuser, so I have $250 into my Firebrand Discovery with retriever, and $40 into my Shakespeare recurve with Zebco 808. I love both bows for different reasons.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:12 AM

This is my 25th year bowfishing. Lots of fun! I'm using a Slotted Retriever with a MudKat Line Guide on it, and 500lb Power Pro line. A great plus when you are using a Slotted Reel for all your fishing. I have a rest made from plumbers epoxy. The bow I am using is a 50lb Oneida Osprey with 40% let off modules. I use No-Gloves instead of a shooting glove to release the arrow.
For carp and gar I use 3-blade InnerLocs with safety slides on carbon spined shafts. For stingrays I use 2-blade InnerLocs with rings instead of slides on carbon spined shafts as well. I use a #3 stainless finishing nail to pin the heads to the shaft just in case.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Steve, How do you like the 500# power pro? What is the diameter?

I really like the 150# power pro I'm using on my spincast. Pricey but good stuff.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:05 PM

ORIGINAL: carpsniper

Steve, How do you like the 500# power pro? What is the diameter?

I really like the 150# power pro I'm using on my spincast. Pricey but good stuff.
It is about the same or a little smaller than the 400lb Fast Flite. The wax coating from the factory can make it a little tough to get 25yds in the small bottle at first.