Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 Am I forgetting something? >

Am I forgetting something?

Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

Am I forgetting something?

Old 08-21-2006, 10:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default Am I forgetting something?

This is my first summer bowfishing, and it is a ton of fun. My 2 buddies and I all load up into our 17 foot canoe and go out. We have one person shoot in the bow, the middle guy watch for carp, and the guy in the stern paddles the boat. We normally do alright, our record for a day (which is usually about 3 hours) is 6. Where we hunt um' in southern WI there are plenty, and we have always seen them. The only problem is they usually spook before we have time to shoot them. Is there anything we can do to sneak up on them for closer shots. We are all 17 years old so nothing to expensive if thats what it will take. Thanks
Old 08-22-2006, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Am I forgetting something?

yes get a small 14 or so foot ROW boat that way you could put ply would over the seats and stand on that, that wayyou could get way more shots
look in your news papaer ive seen them for as little as 200
Old 08-22-2006, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think you're doing just fine.

Elevationcan bevery important for seeing fish that are out a ways from the boat. The higher, the better, and it helps with making shots too since you don't have to account for as much refraction. With that said, a canoe or any small boat will do fine for calm waters with no wind,especially if you are quiet.

The carp will be almost oblivious to your presense in the spring during the spawn, and you'll get some good shooting then. In July and August, they can be hit and miss, and you'll see them when feeding or cruising, but the spring they get really stupid and bunch up near the bank for easy shots, and sit there staring up at you from 5 feet away.

Are the fish spooking because of noise you make?
Try to coast (rather than keep paddling)up towards the fish once yousee one. Move along slowly so that you don't get too close before you spot them. It's much easier to be prepared for a shot if you see it coming, especially if you shoot a compound with cams.

Are they seeing your shadow?
I had an airplane shadow run off a nice big carp over the weekend. I hadn't made my move yet, but the second that shadow crossed him, he splashed and became a swirl of mud.

If you ever wade, you have to be particularly careful of crunching gravel underfoot. That can make them run from 15 feet away.

Congrats on your first bowfishing season!

-Bulz
Old 08-24-2006, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

I use a canoe too sometimes. I built outriggers out of those foam swim noodle things, and some pvc. Now I can stand in my canoe without a fear of dumping the whole rig. Even with my dog in there it's stable. I'll try to take some pics so you can see it. Also if the water your in is shallowish, it may be better to pole than paddle. It takes some practice, but you can sneak in without the paddle splashing and making waves.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

My 2 cents..... Be sure to have decent polarized glasses and wear clothing that is somewhat drab. I prefer lighter blue or greyshirts while daytime bowfishing from a boat.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys, those tips are great.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:52 PM

get a smaller transom mount troller for that thing. keep it on a low speed and you should just about run them over. Also a good way of finding carp in the distance is look for mud spot in the water usally thats a carp feeding.