Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

Hi from Hoyt Al

Old 07-04-2006, 08:50 PM

Default Hi from Hoyt Al

Hi Bowfishermen,
New to the site. I'm on the archery talk site most of the time but johnny b. told me about this one and it looks like fun. I,m a spot shooter at heart but John trying to make a bowfisher out of me. We'll try it and see but so far he hasn't been able to show me any fish. I think thats an important part of this sport?????
Gonna have fun!
Al
Old 07-04-2006, 09:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hi from Hoyt Al

Well well if it isnt Alan the professional....lol nice to see you here big guy hope we see more of ya.......And im gonna come after you this winter on the spots.....
Old 07-05-2006, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome aboard Al.

If Johnny can't get you on some fish, I'd be surprised.
He gets out about 10times as often as I do. [:@]

You just wait until you nail one. YEEHAAW !!
It's just like spot shooting,except thatthere are no spots, the targetsmove around alot, you only get a few seconds to make the shot, and you have to adjust your point of aim for the refraction of the water. See, just like spots.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Actually Big Al you are almost to our site. When you get to this Bowfishing site, look down a bit and our site is Illinois bowfishers club. Now that is where the action is. I will try and contact the guys and let them know about you shooting a Hoyt, Did i spell that right? I hope that they will not be too hard on you. Some times it is better to leave out some details..
Old 07-05-2006, 08:25 PM
Fork Horn

A Hoyt?! You may be 'over-bowed.' Most of us shoot pieces of crap (or carp); I shoot a Ben Pearson Rogue Recurve that is 32 years old. You should see Bulzeye's bow; his spincast reel is taped to his all fiberglass recurve bow with electric tape. To top off the setup he put on pieces of rabbit skin as vibration dampeners.

But you know what; he's a great instinctive shot with it. He shot the heck of the smallmouth buffs at Buffalo City 2 weeks ago. I had one pull-off all day.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

You should see Bulzeye's bow; his spincast reel is taped to his all fiberglass recurve bow with electric tape.
Yeah, my favorite bowfishing bow is definitely not a pretty one, but it shoots decent for me, and it's lightweight.Weight can be a big factor in bowfishing, since you'll be standing there for hours holding your bow and won't want to put it down for fear of missing a shot regardless of how the fishing is going.

The setup Fishpoint is referring to actually works very well, but it is very homemade. The bow is an OLD, solid fiberglass Ben Pearson recurve with an overmolded plastic grip and no holes in the riser to attach anything. I bought a Fuzz mount for the spincast reel, but it was made to be mounted in the sight holes in a riser. I just cut a peice of wood to mount it to, drilled some holes and used some worm-drive hose clamps to secure the wood to the front of the riser. I attached it below the grip for better balance. The electrical tape is simply there to cover all of the potential snag points from the bolts and clamps. I also have an OLDcompound with a retriever, but I find that for bowfishing, I prefer the recurves (ugly ones).
Old 07-06-2006, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

By the way Fishpoint, it just takes a little getting used to whenever you change shooting environments. Shooting in the day vs night, shore vs boat vs wading. It's all a slightly different game. The clarity of the water can mess with you too, because I think we tend to estimate fishdepth somewhat by how well we can see the fish. Take a guy that is used to shooting from shore in very murky conditions, and put him on a moving boat in clear water where fish can be seen much deeper, and he'll rack up more misses than the two of you can laugh about. That's half the fun anyway.

I've been there (we all are,some days). One of the first guys to take me out caught me on a REALLY bad day when I was in a totally new shooting environment, had a bow thatthrew fish arrows sideways, and had a multitude of other factors stacked against me including having to shoot while standing on an unsecured cooler. To this day he stilltries to convincepeople that I can'thit the broadside of a barn from the inside. He's the only one I've even met like that, so don't worry.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

I have to admit, as much as I like to tease Bulz, he is a very good shot. I'm not sure why anybody would say otherwise. Everyone has bad days.

Old 07-06-2006, 05:13 PM
Typical Buck

Tell em Chris dont hate the player hate the game............
Old 07-07-2006, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: KBI-PREZ

Tell em Chris dont hate the player hate the game............

You crack me up Bill!!

If it works, USE IT!! Who cares how ugly it is. As long as you hit fish with it!

Quick Reply: Hi from Hoyt Al

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.