Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

What do i need

Old 05-09-2006, 03:03 PM

Default What do i need

I want to bowfish really bad. I went to cabelas and found an eagle fishing kit that comes with a 5" anodized bowfishing reel, 50-ft. of 70-lb. test braided nylon bowfishing line, and a solid fiberglass fish arrow tipped with an Eagle fish point. Is 50ft enough line. What weight line should i use. Do i need a pole or anything, or should this be a good start. I want to hit the water and see if i like it. I'm alittle short of money, so cheap, but usable is a good thing. I will probably buy a muzzy arrow with the Ams slide just to be safe.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: What do i need

50 ft of line with a hand wrap bowfishing spool should be fine. It is a basic setup but very usable. (what I started with)

Definitely get a spare arrow. Those eagle fish points don't last long and don't hold fish real well.

Be careful, bowfishing is addictive!

Old 05-09-2006, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

Well, the best thing would be to find someone to go with for starts. What part of the country you from?
Old 05-09-2006, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Be careful, bowfishing is addictive!
theres a whole lot of truth in them words right there!!!!
Old 05-09-2006, 07:12 PM

Northern michigan. I have a friend that talked me into it, so i think i'll find some spots to fish.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:27 PM

i agree bowfishin is addictive i cant get enough .i would switch to the muzzy heads they alot better .in my opinion .good luck to ya
Old 05-10-2006, 02:48 PM
Fork Horn

They seem to be getting harder to find but watch ebay for older recurves or visit an archery shop to see what they might have. I have one recurve I bought for $20 and another I found on ebay with a reel already mounted for $30.