Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 Never even heard of bowfishing??? >

Never even heard of bowfishing???

Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

Never even heard of bowfishing???

Old 08-28-2005, 01:18 PM

Default Never even heard of bowfishing???

Is this legal in all areas? I've never even heard of it until now? I'd imagine this would take a great deal of patience and expertise, what's your guys success rate? Just wanting to know, thanks
Old 08-28-2005, 05:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Never even heard of bowfishing???

Once summer hits, I can find fish no matter the conditions. On an average day, I can take home 100+ pounds of fish. That's not much compared to other people, but I eat all I shoot. Carp are everywhere. Around here we have the asian carp, and they're like vermin. They could be called the cockroaches of the river - there are thousands all over the place. No patience required. Unless you have trouble hitting them. Just need an OLD bow, a reel, and arrow. If you have a boat, you got it made. It would help to find someone togo with the first time or two. And get a pair of polarized glasses if you go by day.

Not only is it legal, but many states encourage it as a way to reduce the carp population. Here in Missouri, there is no limit on the number of carp you can take.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:38 PM

Thanks for the info. That's good to know that the carp areunlimited in MO, since I'm also a proud resident of MO.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:02 AM

If its legal here in NJ its probably legal anywhere else in the US. Over here we have alot of common carp but not as plentiful as other places Id presume. Takes some time to find them in big water but in the smaller lakes & ponds its pretty easy. I love it. Fall & winter is Duck hunting and spring and summer is carp huntin(and some ground hogs) . Pretty good deal for me. Best of huntin as I consider.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Redhead, bowfishing is regulated as a form of spear fishing, and as such is only allowed for "rough fish".
The MO fishing regs will answer your questions, and I'm sure Fishhunter is on top of the stuff for your area.

The OLD bow is a good idea. Don't take a pretty one or an expensive one.They get kinda banged up, slimed, and have even been known to go overboard occassionally. Lots of old recurves on Ebay cheap. Check out thesome other threadsfor tips on reels, arrows, line, andplaces to buy them.

One more thing, if MO is like IL, then you cannot bowfish on all bodies of water. Some over here are "2 pole only", and most of the municipalites near large cities do not allow the discharge of a bow within city limits unless it's at a public range.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ohh Red. you just get a reel setup for your bow ....understand how to aim...fish are not where they seem to be when you look at them.. think its called... refraction-- the turning or bending of wave when it passes from one medium into another of different density.......see .....easy stuff
Old 09-02-2005, 06:45 PM
Fork Horn

Yup, aim low because of refraction. In Missouri you can shoot rough fish only - mainly carp, buffalo, gar and drum.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:30 AM

Thanks for the great advice on this new and interesting world of fishing .
Old 09-26-2005, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

RedHead............think twice before you go..........Its extremely addicting! I mean it! If you try it...you won't stop..its a blast! An average day is 100 to 150 shots. Its fabulous practice for hunting season....your arm stays in great shape. You do it mostly in the off season (non deer hunting times) but you can find fish all year.

Have fun and give it a try!
Old 09-27-2005, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's addicting alright.

My year now consists of3 seasons:
Oct through Jan = Deer hunting
Jan through March = Bow setup changes and tuning
(with gifts and money from Christmas)
April through Sept = Bowfishing and 3-D.

Ah, the circle of life.

-Bulz

Quick Reply: Never even heard of bowfishing???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.