Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 Polarized Glasses >

Polarized Glasses

Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

Polarized Glasses

Old 07-18-2005, 12:45 PM

Default Polarized Glasses

Do these really help that much??? People talk like they are freakin' X-ray goggles or sumpin'.
Figured I'd get me a pair if the price is right and they work like I've been told.

If you think that its definitly the way to go what shade/color do you use?? I think I seen 3 or 4 different shades, grey, ?black?, red and yellow.......

O, got me another boat, setting this one up good, can't wait. Got it for FREE. Great shape, 14' Duracraft w/ trailer and 9.9 merc. Time for a camo paint job, platform and lights. Gotta get a 25hp for her soon. And got me a recurve for free also, it's 43# @ 28" but it'll do. Now I can clean the ole' dyna bow up and put'er away........
Old 07-18-2005, 12:54 PM

Default RE: Polarized Glasses

Polarized glasses are the key to daytime bowfishing. And yes they are like freakin' X-ray goggles or sumpin'. Have not found the need for them at night though. As far as lens color I do not believe that makes a difference. I have used different colors and could not tell any difference. Congrats on the boat hope you are able to set it up to your liking and kill a boat load of fish!!!!! And congrats on the recurve, my choice of bow for bowfishing as well.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:30 PM

I can't wear polarized glasses. They block out a light ray that I need for equilibrum. I bought a pair of Maui Jims, (very nice glasses) and after wearing for about half an hour got sick. I took them back, and they said that about 10% of the population cannot wear them for the same reason. If you buy a pair, get the highest quality pair you can afford, optics are worth it.
Hope this helps
Mitch
Old 07-18-2005, 05:13 PM
Fork Horn

even a cheap pair of polarized beat an expensive pair of nonpolarized. Get the thicker lenses - 1.1 mm or thicker.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know about thicknesses, but I do know that I can see better MOST of the time with the amber-colored glasses. I have 2 pair of the grey, but those are better when it's very bright out. The amber are the best all-round. IMHO.

Oh, and I got the Strike King glasses from Walmart for something like $8.00. Had them for years and I don't do ANY kind of fishing with out them. They're like freakin' xray-goggles or sumpin.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:16 AM

IMO, without them, you just as well not go during the day.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:39 AM

Thank you all for the info. I guess that why I cant see nothing but the carp that are just under the surface.
Getting me a pair tonight. It really started to get on my nerves that I couldnt see the ones a bit deeper and just seeing them getting kicked up all over the place as the boat comes through. This is prolly the key for helping me see'um. Now, if I can see the deeper ones, LOOK OUT, I'll have a boatload. Up till now I can only shoot at the ones cruising the surface. Hunt alot of mudflats so if I can see the ones on the bottom (less then 2') Ill be in business...... Thanks again all
Old 07-19-2005, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't go daytime bowfishing without them, and I did in fact stay home one time because I couldn't find them. If you fish areas where there are lots of fish like buffalo on the surface, you can get by without them, but why bother?
I feel they are essential for bowfishing.

You can't hit what you can't see.
I also have found the amber color to work a bit better, at least in muddy water and shade.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:11 PM

Oh boy. Now yous got me all pumped up. The waters I hunt are mostly murky less then 2' deep and "TONS" of carp. I was about fed up with the place cause I couldnt see anything but them getting spooked and the occaisonal one coming up to the surface. Id get only about 5 shots in a couple hours out when they are actually all around me. Kinda pissed me off a bit...... When I used to go with my pops a couple years back the water was alot clearer and he never said nothing about polarized glasses, never needed them, we were always whackin'em. Heard of them but was always to stubborn to shell out the cash for a pair. Now hearing all this thats the first thing to do on my list tonight, buy a pair.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

You're gonna love it Manco! You'll see.

Quick Reply: Polarized Glasses

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.