Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 Bigheads in Peoria---pics >

Bigheads in Peoria---pics

Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

Bigheads in Peoria---pics

Old 07-02-2005, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator

Default Bigheads in Peoria---pics

Okay fiends and neighbors, poison squirrels...

I took a midweek bowfishing excursion into Central Illinois.
It was a great little trip.
I was a bit worried it wasn't going to go well at first when I got stuck in lots of traffic on I-55 around Joliet. It took me an hour to go 5 miles. [:'(]

I met up with my buddy Kendall and we got out onto Evergreen Lake in Bloomington a little after midnight. The fish weren't out in big numbers, but we had plenty shots. Because both Kendall and I are such accomplished archers we were trying to impress each other with how closely we could miss a fish. As in "Did you see that shot? Just an inch over that carp." [8D]

We did mess up a few times and actually hit the fish. But only about 8 times.

We had gone all over the lake and were pretty far from the ramp when the motor died. We ran out of gas. Right at that time tho' a giant lightning bolt appeared. We turned the genny off and put the troller on full speed which, with the wind, made us go along at about 2mph. Obviously, we made it back without getting fried but the lightning did make the trip that much more exciting.

Okay.... enough of Evergreen... on to Peoria.

The picturesque Peoria Dam.

Unfortunately, it looks better than it smells. I'm not sure if it's from the dam or the locks or people snagging... but there are dead fish everywhere... and it's very aromatic. :shock:

There were plenty of bigheads out there though. Most were rolling, kind of like gar. Those were very, very difficult to get a shot at. There were bunches of them right at the dam... but you aren't supposed to get closer than 150' to the dam... and it's dangerous to get much closer than that anyhow.

Still, due to our exceptional shooting skills... we managed to get some bigheads.

Kendall with his first ever bighead carp.

Me with my bighead, and my first Asian carp.

Kendall's brother John was there too. He got several silver carp simply by driving his boat around. When he got close to the lock, the fish were popping out of the water like fireworks.

Resting between silver carp runs...

Between the strength of the fish, the current and the trick of getting wrapped up in the troller.. we only managed to boat four fish. But they were definitely a lot of fun.

The one Kendall is holding was the biggest of the day. (~20lbs... it's bigger than it looks in that photo) It was strong enough to actually pull us towards the dam. We saw much bigger fish there. When these things grow to 30-40lbs.. they're going to be scary.
Old 07-02-2005, 07:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bigheads in Peoria---pics

So you finally got some. Good for you girl. I've said all along, they're the only fish to pull my boat sideways through the water. Now, did you fillet them?
Old 07-02-2005, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

Fish, I didn't filet any of those fish, but I was planning to... I even put the big, big cooler in the bed of my truck. (holds two corpses if they're dismembered just right)

However, when I got to the river, the first impression was sooooo gross, that it really turned my stomach. There were dead, rotting fish all over the place. Even the ramp had maggotty drum and carp bodies on it. Kendall had to back over them with his truck.. (ewww!! [:'(]) I really don't know what's up with all the dead stuff but it's not very appetizing.

Maybe I'll be braver next time.

[&o]

Old 07-02-2005, 08:45 PM
Fork Horn

Every dam seems to have dead fish below it, but that seems to be pretty severe. But bigheads are filter feeders, so they should be good eating regardless.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:33 AM

Looks like all in all a good time was had. Nice Pics, Getting me jealous. Haven't been out in over a week.
How I love the stories and pics, I gotta start bringin' a camera so I can post some stories when I go out. It definitly helps the "fever" seeing others being able to get out and stick'em.....To bad for work on the weekdays and people needing favors on the weekends. Oh'well, maybe this weekend I hope...
Old 07-05-2005, 08:16 AM

Nice pics Christine! All the dead fish remind me of redtide down here in the saltwater. Hey, did you get your spices yet?
Old 07-05-2005, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

Yep, got the package on Wednesday! Thanks so much!! I've tried two of them so far.(tho' I've been away from the house a lot this week...so I didn't do a lot of cooking) I can't think of the names..but the one has lots of sage and is really good on chicken. The other one is sort of a cajun type spice and I like it on everything.

Old 07-07-2005, 07:21 AM

Cool! You gonna be able to meet up with us next weekend going for the big boys?
And...who you calling a fiend?
Old 07-07-2005, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

Are you guys going down to Kentucky Lake/dam next weekend?

I want to go... but I'm supposed to have a class that weekend. [&o]

There's no way you can go the following weekend?
Old 07-07-2005, 01:19 PM

Maybe, but the 15-17th is the only one I can positively count on. I am coaching a little league all-star team. So we are fishing the weekend between tournys. First tourny is this weekend, if we win, we move on.

Quick Reply: Bigheads in Peoria---pics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.