Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

Chumming

Old 06-22-2005, 09:18 PM

Default Chumming

Does anyony Chumcarp? If so what do you use, how does it work, and how long do you have to wait for the fish to come?
Old 06-23-2005, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Chumming

I've used corn. If you're putting corn out where carp already hang out then just toss out regular, hard, feed corn. I toss it far enough up in the shallows that the carp have to come partially out of the water to get it. (my river is usually so muddy that if they're not poking out of the water, I can't see them)

Hard corn takes about a day for the carp to find (in my area anyhow).

If I want the carp to come sooner.. I soak the corn in water until it sours... (takes about a day in the heat of summer) Then I toss that stuff in the shallows. (eewww.. stinky!) The carp will find that stuff within a couple of hours. (if not sooner)

I've heard of people putting dog food in burlap bags and setting the bags out in the shallows, but I've never tried that.

Old 06-23-2005, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Chumming

Throw bread or buns out an hour or two before shooting. Just crumble and throw.

They'll find it...and it floats for easy pickins. Just watch out for ducks! LOL