Community
Blades Cutting edge discussion for all things knife related.

knife

Old 07-19-2014, 06:52 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Default knife

Who makes a knife that holds its edge the longest.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:09 AM
Fork Horn

I always like and used a Buck 110, Great knife for the money.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

For a general purpose knife, I like the Gerber Gator. I have skinned an elk or 3 with one, and it did just fine. Works as good as my high $$$$$ ones,
Old 07-23-2014, 05:57 PM
Typical Buck

this is my knife. Uncle Henry. Bought new from Cabelas. It is a great knife, my dad bought this exact knife 30 years ago and still uses it today, he hardly ever has to sharpen it. they are the best knives you can buy.
Attached Thumbnails knife-schrade.jpg  
Old 07-24-2014, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

there are a lot of knives that hold an edge for a while coldsteal gerber and buck are awsome companys i use a cheap bowie knife i bought new at a flea market.i like the gerber profile 2 i think it is an amazing knife and at 20 bucks wont break the bank
Old 07-24-2014, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

A good knife is subjective and most of the top brands make knives for many different needs and or opinions.

For me its the right combination of edge retention and ease of sharpening.

Generally the longer a knife holds an edge the harder it is to sharpen and really to be honest IMO the super steels don't hold the edge enough longer to justify how hard they are to sharpen. Personally I like Aus-8 , 1095 , Sandvik and then some exceptions like 420hc which is good if done right (like by buck)

The harder steels are harder to sharpen and can be brittle.

I see a lot of people say some knives go a long time without needing sharpened but they must have different ideas than myself. They all require a fair amount of work in my experience to work they way I want them to.

A real sharp knife has a real fine edge and a real fine edge requires maintenance.

Last edited by rockport; 07-24-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
A good knife is subjective and most of the top brands make knives for many different needs and or opinions.

For me its the right combination of edge retention and ease of sharpening.

Generally the longer a knife holds an edge the harder it is to sharpen and really to be honest IMO the super steels don't hold the edge enough longer to justify how hard they are to sharpen. Personally I like Aus-8 , 1095 , Sandvik and then some exceptions like 420hc which is good if done right (like by buck)

The harder steels are harder to sharpen and can be brittle.

I see a lot of people say some knives go a long time without needing sharpened but they must have different ideas than myself. They all require a fair amount of work in my experience to work they way I want them to.

A real sharp knife has a real fine edge and a real fine edge requires maintenance.
Good answer. I have an Old Timer that I sharpened over 30 yrs ago that is still as sharp as the day I put it away. Cuz she aint been used.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Tundra10
Good answer. I have an Old Timer that I sharpened over 30 yrs ago that is still as sharp as the day I put it away. Cuz she aint been used.
Yep, there are two ways to keep a knives sharp....either don't use them or sharpen them.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:05 AM
Fork Horn

Thumbs up knives

Originally Posted by rockport
Yep, there are two ways to keep a knives sharp....either don't use them or sharpen them.
X2, I sharpen sometime as I'm using it.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by troutbum
X2, I sharpen sometime as I'm using it.
I steel my knives during use. I usually get by with a just steel for quite awhile.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.