Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Blades
Help on old Bowie Knife >

Help on old Bowie Knife

Community
Blades Cutting edge discussion for all things knife related.

Help on old Bowie Knife

Old 03-23-2011, 02:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Help on old Bowie Knife

I bought this knife at an estate sale in Harpers Ferry W.V. and know very little about it ..I feel comfortable that it is pretty old and is a Bowie style ...any ideas?

dd

[img]

Old 03-23-2011, 05:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
Palmetto Armory (William Glaze & Co), Columbia, South Carolina
"On April 15, 1851, the State of South Carolina awarded Benjamin Flag of Millbury, Mass. and William Glaze, owner of the Palmetto Armory, Columbia, a sizable contract for muskets, rifles and pistols. One thousand sabres and one thousand artillery swords were included; "all arms to be made within the confines of the State of South Carolina." Later the contract was amended to delete the artillery swords and adding an additional one thousand cavalry sabres with scabbards. These were made at the Palmetto Armory and were identical to the US, Model-1840. All were stamped on the reverse ricasso "Columbia, S.C. " and some few "Wm. Glaze & Co." on the obverse. Confederate Handguns raises a question as to whether those sabers stamped "Columbia, S.C." are in fact the product of the Palmetto Armory? The answer to this is a definite "yes"" Comparison between those that also include the name of the maker "Wm. Glaze & Co." reveal that the "Columbia, S.C." is struck with the same die on both. An additional question also raised by Confederate Handguns is whether the sabre contract was ever fulfilled? The survival ratio strongly suggests that it was."
from this link
http://www.civilwarartillery.com/con...nufactures.htm, sorry thats all I could find
RR
Heeemmmmmmm interesting ....thank you TC.

dd