Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Blades
cutco knives >

cutco knives

Community
Blades Cutting edge discussion for all things knife related.

cutco knives

Old 09-24-2010, 02:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default cutco knives

Hey guys, Can anyone get me one of these knives for a decent price?
Old 09-24-2010, 02:23 PM
Typical Buck

Also! Are these knives good? Or are they overrated?
Old 10-06-2010, 05:43 PM
Spike

I have an original model Cutco hunting knife (can't remember the #). I really like it, it fits my hand well.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Old 12-15-2010, 12:21 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by tim03b
Hey guys, Can anyone get me one of these knives for a decent price?
Depends on what you consider a decent price.
Cutco knives are really good, hold an edge well, and have (I believe) a lifetime warranty in case of breakage or damage.
A friend of mine works at the factory near Olean, NY, and sometimes he calls me about blems and such. (once or twice a year)
I suggest you call the factory, ask about refurbs and blems, and see what they have to say about it.
Customer service is excellent, and will help you as best they can.
Yes, you'll pay a couple bucks more than you would for something you'd find at wallyworld, but the quality difference and the warranty totally make up for the purchase price difference.
My folks have a set, and when they told me what they paid for it, I about fell over, but after using them myself, I'd spring for a set of my own.
Awesome knives.
Well worth it.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:06 PM
Typical Buck

my daughter used to sell them. the large kitchen set was somewhere North of 800 bucks. I have 3 of them and they are excellent knives.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I really like my Cutco Hunting Knife.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:38 AM
Typical Buck

by far the best knives I've used. I have at least 5 hunting knives as well as kitchen knives
Old 12-31-2010, 10:06 AM
Typical Buck

I'll agree, have had mine for about 10 years now, it's my favorite hunting knife so far
Old 02-26-2011, 09:06 PM
Spike

Cutco makes very impressive steak/table knives. Their "Double D" edge is phenomenal when it comes to working as a steak knife, and it stays sharp for a long time. My wife and I have a full set of table knives, a boning knife and a carving knife in the Double D edge, and they have yet to need sharpening after 12 years. Our butcher knife and paring knife, on the other hand, leave quite a bit to be desired in the edge retention department. I found out that they use simple 440A steel in their knives, which is basically surgical-grade steel. That sounds good, but if you think about it, surgical blades are single-use, so they need to be made of inexpensive steel that can take a very keen edge. However, they'll get used rather lightly, to be honest, and then discarded. It's basically the bottom of acceptable blade steels. Cutco does an excellent job with their heat treating, so their blades tend to fare better than most 440A. My paring knife and butcher knife are easy to resharpen, but I find myself doing it very frequently -- even more frequently than the carbon steel Old Hickory butcher knife that I have that is older than I am.

Personally, I think most of their products are overpriced and their plain-edged versions are overrated (their DoubleD is fantastic, though). When we got ours, I thought they were "da bomb!" but as I searched for different blades, I learned what is out there for the same price that is far superior. My wife loves the Santoku style of blade, and for the same price as Cutco's santoku knife, I can get a santoku make in Japan of Japanese steel that if far superior to any Cutco knife:
Hiromoto 190mm Santoku
Mac MSK-65 Santoku (sells for $100-110 online)

If you want a serrated knife, Cutco is incredibly hard to beat. For a plain edge knife, there are knives out there that are far better.

Last edited by roosclan; 02-26-2011 at 09:09 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.