Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Blades
Which is the better Fixed Blade??? >

Which is the better Fixed Blade???

Blades Cutting edge discussion for all things knife related.

Which is the better Fixed Blade???

Old 09-17-2010, 02:59 PM
Spike

Default Which is the better Fixed Blade???

Which off the following fixed blades do you prefer? The all american Bowie Knife or the efficient yet classical nessmuk knife?
Old 09-18-2010, 09:21 AM
Spike

I guess it depends on the main purpose for the knife. Also on what one thinks an "All American Bowie Knife" is.

The Bowie knife has IMO been overdone since Bowie used it in the famous 1827 Sand Bar fight. A "Bowie" now generally represents any large bladed sheath knife. From everything I read the original was a basic butcher/hunting knife design albeit with a rather large - about 9-10" blade.

So if you ask me. For general purpose hunting the Nessmuk ‘s unique blade shape make it superior for processing game or general purpose hunting, than the rather large, often clip pointed knife that has become to represent the Bowie.

However Cold Steel’s take on the Bowie, with their now classic Trailmaster is one good lookin’ and strong knife.

Rob