Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Blades
Lightweight blades for backpacking >

Lightweight blades for backpacking

Community
Blades Cutting edge discussion for all things knife related.

Lightweight blades for backpacking

Old 08-29-2010, 04:23 PM
Spike

Default Lightweight blades for backpacking

Seeking advice from those that pack light on what kind (or specifically brand) of knife you carry. Most of my deer/elk hunting is via backpack, so I’m always looking to shave weight down. The last few years I’ve carried a couple of decent quality 4”-sih trapper knives. So basically I have 4 blades to work with. But are there any better ideas out there? Any and all feedback appreciated. Thank you.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:53 AM
Spike

Since no one has jumped in yet with a comment what about a Spyderco H1 Salt folder ?

I carry one almost every day. The blade tip is drop point enough to be a decent skinner /hunting knife and it is very light weight. The steel is about a rust proof as you can get and holds an edge very well. Overall this is one of my favorite knives. The street price is not too bad either at about $60

Here's a pic of one.

http://images.knifecenter.com/knifec...es/sp88pbk.jpg

Regards,
Rob

Last edited by Rob62; 09-18-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:17 PM
Spike

Kershaw are nice light weight knives however I've also found that custom knife makers are the way to go when wanting specific criteria, lightweight and holding an edge