Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 6" - 7" Spread - What I'm I doing wrong? >

6" - 7" Spread - What I'm I doing wrong?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

6" - 7" Spread - What I'm I doing wrong?

Old 04-29-2005, 01:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 6" - 7" Spread - What I'm I doing wrong?

So does that mean you don't clean your barrel between shots cayudad? You leave the fouling in the barrel?
No, I swab between shots. The difference is when I start on a very clean barrel it will shoot to a different POI. Even when we swab the barrel of fowling we never get that barrel clean. All we really do is remove the main crud. I've run four or even five patches down the barrel when shooting Goex and never came up with a clean patch yet...

Today I was shooting my Knight Wolverine II. I have pulled the RED DOT off of it was wanted to see how accuracte the fiber optic sights were. The first shot hit to the right of the bull just like always and the rest then filled the bull. Although it was shooting a hair low with 85 grains of Goex 3f for some reason. So I upped the charge and loaded 100 grains of Clean shot and it did much better.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have the same first shot flyer out of a clean barrel. I measure about 70 gr. of ffg Goex, and put a cleaning patch on top of that and shoot without a bullet. That is all it takes to make my first shot right on the money. Then I just swab between shots, and my groups stay tight.

I also have a Green Mountain 1-70 twist barrel I use for very accurate round ball shooting. It is rare for me to have a flyer with this barrel even with it perfectly clean.

C. Davis
Old 04-29-2005, 04:09 PM
Dominant Buck

You're generous.. I only dump between 20-30 grains of Goex down the barrel then put a wonderwad on top of that and pop that off. Then a quick swab of the barrel and we are ready to go.

I also have a Green Mountian 1:70 twist .58 caliber but that barrel does not throw a flyer even clean. 100 grains of Goex 2f and a patched roundball and that thing is real accurate. It actually has thrown a flyer but I could never say proof positive it was the rifles fault.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:14 PM

i think it is just your choice of projectile. i have a 1-28 twist and using 90 grains of goex with a 209 loaded with 240 grain powerbelts it shot bad real bad. about what you are getting for groups. i was getting 8-10 inch groups at 40 yards. the cure was a bigger powerbelt. also found out that it will shot a patch and ball very good. touching some holes at 80 yards. i was told that a twist rate of 1-28 was to fast for balls. proved that wrong it shoots great. i am going to stay will the balls. it may take a 1/2 dozen differant projectiles before you find the one your gun likes. but you'll get it just takes some time.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Many of the 1:28 twists will shoot roundball and do it very well. Thr trick usually is to keep the powder charge down in the 70 or lower grain range so that the ball and patch does not start skipping the rifling in the barrel. My inlines will plink all day with round ball. I would not use them as my standerd load though. If I wanted to shoot roundball I take out my roundball rifle....
Old 04-30-2005, 03:42 PM

i have been playing around with the 80 and 90 grain of power. seems to do very good with both. i just started using them because i have a sidelock and a flintlock so i have a lot of balls to shoot away. i didn't see the need to shoot the others for a dollar a pop. i don't understand why you would not use them for a standard load.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:52 PM
Dominant Buck

I found that although my inlines will shoot roundball very well, the ocassional flyer is common. I think this is because I cast my own ball and make my own patches. In my other roundball rifles which have a twist made for shooting them, I can push a roundball much harder then 60 grains like in my inline and feel more comfortable for shooting longer distances. Also the chance of a flyer is less.

I have a 1:70 barrel .58 caliber 32" rifle that will put roundball down range as accurate as I can hold. I would shoot with the right conditions all the way out to 120 yards if I had to. This rifle only drops about 3" at 100 yards and this summer we will be testing it all the way out to 150 yards. Not that I am interested in shooting a roundball 150 yards, but I believe that this rifle can do it.....
Old 04-30-2005, 10:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I also have a Green Mountian 1:70 twist .58 caliber but that barrel does not throw a flyer even clean. 100 grains of Goex 2f and a patched roundball and that thing is real accurate. It actually has thrown a flyer but I could never say proof positive it was the rifles fault.
Cayugad,
What I really like about the barrel is that once you find the right patch and ball combo, it keeps it's accuracy with just about any powder charge. I like to use FFFG in this barrel because you get less fouling than FFG, and my top load of 90 gr. FFFG is about the same as 105 or so gr. of the two f. I use the 90 gr. charge when I'm shooting 100 yards so I don't lose my elevation.
I usually hunt with the 48 twist barrel and the No-Excuses conicle, but that 90 gr. FFFg roundball charge would be an excellant whitetail load if I wanted to lug the 32" barrel through the thickets I hunt. Not to mention up a tree.

C. Davis
Old 04-30-2005, 10:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Without a doubt, the 90 grains and a patched roundball is an excellent hunting load. If the rifle will shoot that to your satisfaction then that is excellent. A nice way to plink and to have a hunting rifle to boot....
Old 05-01-2005, 08:36 AM

what would the twist rate be on my .45 caliber wolverine 209? (i think theres a short and a long barrel, mines the long i believe). Also, whats the minimum/maximum charge you would put in this gun using loose pyrodex?

Quick Reply: 6" - 7" Spread - What I'm I doing wrong?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.