Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Cayugad some more good news. >

Cayugad some more good news.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cayugad some more good news.

Old 04-26-2005, 07:35 PM
Typical Buck

Default Cayugad some more good news.

Hey Cayugad the REAL's work in that Norinco!!!

Just to let you know that I was able to shoot them without any problem they are the first bullet to shoot out of the gun without tumbling.

I even shot a couple groups a 100yds with them. I need to work it a bit now to see what loads will be best but I was shooting 80g FFFGoex and it shot clean and good. I would like to lower the charge a bit and I was thinking of using 80g FF instead. Do you think this combo will kill deer? BTW I am using the 320g REAL .50cal.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Cayugad some more good news.

Without a doubt that charge would kill a deer. You might also want to put a wonderwad between the powder charge and the conical. Sometimes that will make the accuracy even better. You can make your own wonderwads if you do not want to buy them.

Glad that they worked for you. They get good pass through and do good damage to deer when they hit. I was shooting 80 grains of Pyrodex RS and them for deer hunting with the sidelocks and did real well with that...
Old 04-26-2005, 09:08 PM
Typical Buck

Cool without knowing much about how the gun was made you like to keep the pressures down. The manual gave an unrealisticly low max load. 80g powder and a patched round ball. It is a short barrel with a slow twist.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Well many of the older rifles were in the era of low charges. Some of them had very low max charges. I would be sure and follow the recommended charges of the maker. It will be interesting to see what the rifle does with the lower charges...
Old 04-26-2005, 09:42 PM

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Without a doubt that charge would kill a deer. You might also want to put a wonderwad between the powder charge and the conical. Sometimes that will make the accuracy even better. You can make your own wonderwads if you do not want to buy them.
How do you make wonderwads?

Paul
Old 04-26-2005, 10:37 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: newhunter35

How do you make wonderwads?

Paul
You can purchase a Hollow Hole Punch and then go to any builders supply place. Buy some 100% felt insulation. It is used to insulate window and door sills, or you can buy felt on line at a couple of places. You use a !/2 inch hole punch for the .50 caliber and a 9/16th for the .54 caliber. Punch out a number of the felt holes... Then melt some bore butter or homemade lube and soak the felt wads in that liqyid lube. After the felt wads are saturated, I set them out on wax paper and let the lube set back up to solid form. There are your homemade wads. Or you can buy them on line if you like.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Durofelt is a company that sells 100% wool felt. As most are aware, wool does not burn all that easy and especially when lubed. The felt wads will protect the projectile from the powder charge, seal the gasses better in the barrel giving more power they claim, and some even feel it helps to reduce leading. I do know that in many circumstances they will improve accuracy.

They can also be used with patched roundball especially if you notice the patches are getting damaged badly when fired....
Old 04-27-2005, 05:49 AM

thank you. I will try that to see if the NO EXCUSE bullets shoot any better.

Paul
Old 04-27-2005, 09:30 AM
Dominant Buck

What kind of rifle are you having trouble with the No Excuses Conicals? What kind of powder charge are you shooting? What is the twist rate of the rifle? I have three different inline rifles and as long as I keep the powder charge around 80-85 grains they shoot great. Also what kind of powder are you using. If you can get your hands on some Pyrodex P try them with that. The conicals seem to like the Pyrodex. I am currently out of Pyrodex P.

In my CVA Staghorn I shoot 80 grains of Goex 2f. In my Knight Wolverine II I shoot 80 grains of Pyrodex P or 85 grains of Goex 3f and in my Black Diamond XR I shoot 80 grains of Triple Se7en FFg and the accuracy in all the rifles is excellent.

I got terrible accuracy with Pinnacle Powder for some reason. I forgot to try the Clean Shot with them, and then I ran out of them. The wads might make a difference. You can buy them on line but it is much cheaper to make, although the store bought are easier to use I think. Get as thick a felt as you can find.....

Good luck
Old 04-27-2005, 01:39 PM

What kind of rifle are you having trouble with the No Excuses Conicals? What kind of powder charge are you shooting? What is the twist rate of the rifle? I have three different inline rifles and as long as I keep the powder charge around 80-85 grains they shoot great. Also what kind of powder are you using. If you can get your hands on some Pyrodex P try them with that. The conicals seem to like the Pyrodex. I am currently out of Pyrodex P.

In my CVA Staghorn I shoot 80 grains of Goex 2f. In my Knight Wolverine II I shoot 80 grains of Pyrodex P or 85 grains of Goex 3f and in my Black Diamond XR I shoot 80 grains of Triple Se7en FFg and the accuracy in all the rifles is excellent.

I got terrible accuracy with Pinnacle Powder for some reason. I forgot to try the Clean Shot with them, and then I ran out of them. The wads might make a difference. You can buy them on line but it is much cheaper to make, although the store bought are easier to use I think. Get as thick a felt as you can find.....

Good luck
I am using the Omega with Black Mag 3. I had some problems at the range because I did not have a steady rest and I slammed my finger on the front blade with enough force to shoot blood out. So my trigger hand was in terrible pain. I am going to go the range later this week or next. I was using 80, 85, and 90 grains, but I think because I was in pain and the shooting didn't help I messed up the time. I still think the BM3 will work, but I'll go and get some pyrodex P. The omega has a 1 in 28" twist. I have some sabots from Mark (hunterman boolets) in the 300 grain that I'll also shoot. I also shot some Buffalo sabots in 225 grain and I was pretty impressed.

Paul

Quick Reply: Cayugad some more good news.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.