Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

300 gr = Elk???

Old 04-19-2005, 07:51 PM

Default 300 gr = Elk???

Just looking for opinions. I hunt mainly deer but there is a slight possibility I can run into an Elk when out hunting. Would I be best to go up to 300 / 340 gr. Dead Centers and be able to shoot 200 yards or stick with my 240 gr. and limit my shot distance to 100 yards max???

Thanks
Old 04-19-2005, 08:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 300 gr = Elk???

Go with the larger bullet. Then you got both fields covered. That larger bullet will work as well for deer as the smaller and you can still shoot an elk should the oppertunity present itself. 200 yards is a long distance to shoot at anything even with a modern rifle. Good luck with your hunting.

Which ever bullet gives you the best accuracy is the one I would use.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:26 PM

I would give the 250 gr. Barnes Expander MZ's a hard look for this application - one of the most lethal projectiles ever designed for a smoke pole. You may need to try some different sabots if they seat too hard in your rifle. These will knock an elk down like a .300 Winchester.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Allegiance05 ,

I personally think your 240 load might be a bit light for Elk especially at 200 yards. I know a lot of people are hunting with a 260 grain bullet - like a Nosler - Swift "A" frame - and Barnes bullets. I am sure the XTP'S the SST's and all of those others will work just fine - bullet placement being the key...

I am a Nosler fan have been for over 40 years so I continue to use them for hunting can not afford to shoot them at paper so I substitue different bullets for that. Right now I am hunting Elk with a 300 grain .458 (45/70) Nosler partition in a Orange MMP sabot. I feel this will perform really well even out the the 200 yard mark. The patition will provide the penetration I am looking for even if it comes in contact with bone. I so use a 260 grain bullet for deer - really might be an over-kill there but the shoot and perform wo well for me. Here in Idaho you could run into whitetail or muleys and I kinda like to have that extra punch for muleys.

All of this may not be legal where you are either (we can use sabots here) - so you might have to use conicals or powerbelts - I would use conicals before the powerbelt. I am just not a fan of big heavy slow bullets, nor am I to fond of all lead bullets - I think we found out a long time ago copper jackets perform better in all conditions.

Good luck in your search - actually the search is a big part of the fun