Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Casting Bullets

Old 04-10-2005, 10:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default Casting Bullets

I borrowed a buddies Maxi Hunter 350 grn bullet mold and cast around a 100 bullets. When I went to load them they where a bugger to get started and get down the barrel. I shot off 7 and was REALLY pleased with the groups (80 grns FFF Pyrodex RS) but I can not suffer the tight loading in huntin conditions.

Obviously I have a tight barrel but I was wondering if there are better bullet molds out there that may fit my situation better? Is there anything that can be done when loading?

I am mixing up pure (soft) lead so the metal should not be an issue.

Thanks in advance for your assistance
Eric
Old 04-11-2005, 10:16 AM

Default RE: Casting Bullets

the mold may be a size to large for you gun.they are different sizes.I had a 45 cal. and some were 440 and some 445.

check the size.

if the shoot good,just make sure you lube the bullet real good.you are not going to have to load that many in a hunting trip.if they group good,I would use them.TC told me the more I shoot my gun the better it will group and load.give them a good chance.thats all I can say.

good luck, hope you only need one shot to get that trophy
Old 04-11-2005, 11:05 AM

Doesn't Lyman sell a sizing die for those bullets? I've stopped casting but I remember things worked better when I ran them thru a sizing die.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:39 PM

how much is a caster?
Old 04-11-2005, 12:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Perhaps this is not a slip fit conical. Some conicals have to be forced down the barrel. If I were getting good accuracy, I think I would overlook the hard loading unless you are taking a hammer and pounding the thing down the barrel.

The other thing is measure the bore of your rifle and then the bullet and see what the relationship is. You might have to get a sizer and take the whole conical down just a little. This might also effect your accuracy.

I bought some maxiball from a person that casts. They looked great until I tried to load them. And as you describe, had to really force them to seat them. They did not shoot all that great so I never really got all that concerned....
Old 04-11-2005, 08:45 PM
Fork Horn

QT- a bullet mold is around $70 Canadian ($50+ US) and lead is very easy to get from old plumbing to brothers that work in the oil patch.

Guys thanks for all the info, I was not aware that they had a sizer for cast bullets but I will search the web and see what I come up with. I borrowed this mold with the thought being I don't want to buy something that does not work, NORMALLY I ain't this smart!

I will let you all know what I find out.

Eric
Old 04-12-2005, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can you weigh your bullets?

If so, check their actual weight against the advertized weight. If they are light, and oversize, I would say you don't have pure lead. If the weight is heavy, perhaps you have an oversized mould.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:20 PM

i would invest in a die as the die can accurately size the bullets used. they run from 20 to 45 dollars if you get them from a reputable dealer. also check you lead
as it may not be as pure as you think it might be. i bought lead online and was ripped off as it was 13 percent tin and didn't melt until it was nearly 700 degrees in the
pot. pure lead is difficult to find good luck and happy shooting and god bless america
Old 04-19-2005, 01:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Different allows of lead will also give you slightly different dimensions and weights. The purer the lead, the heavier the bullet.

Lyman moulds unless they are described otherwise cut their moulds to make a bullet of their stated dimension using Number 2 alloy. Lee moulds are based off either Wheel weights or pure lead, I can't remmeber which.