Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Want ML for Elk

Old 04-04-2005, 04:02 PM

Default RE: Want ML for Elk

ORIGINAL: Oldguy

I am planning a trip to Colorado ML for elk. I have a nice TC Hawken I built from a kit 20 plus years ago. It shoots good but, It's pretty heavy, and I would like a lighter easier to clean and reload ML. (and I want a sling for this trip)

Since I am 70, I don't want to invest too heavy in another ML.

So, having given the situation, which of the newer ML's, powders and bullets would you folks reccomend.

Colorado doesn't permit pellets, sabots or scopes.

Thanks for your comments
Oldguy,

You don't have to put a stud in your rifle. I found a sling where there are no studs on ebay. Here is the item # 7129450560. Check it out--I'm the one that bought it and for the price you can't beat it. It does everything that a sling is supposed to.

Old 04-05-2005, 04:25 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the suggestions and ideas. Will check into them.

You don't have a web site for that shorter barrel do you?

If I got the shorter barrel, would that reduce the effective range?

Thanks again, for the ideas!
Old 04-05-2005, 01:45 PM
Typical Buck

WWW.trackofthewolf.com for the drop in barrels. I have a .54 Hawken that has the one in 48 barrel and I am planning on ordering a .50 slower twist to shoot round balls in competition. They have both size barrels available to match your rifle. My .54 has the larger hex barrel but they make a .50 in the oversize hex blank to match. I think I would go this route if I were you. The shorter barrel will affect your overall pergformance but I have shot elk with short barrel muzzleloaders and they died. You will just have to keep your shots withing range. Since CO does not allow scopes the ranges you will be able to make a good sight picture are going to be 100 yards or less especially with older eyes. Personally I like the longer barrels but I think you could do well with the shorter one. Also there is a front sling mount made that attaches to the ram rod holding ring (not sure about the source but the previous poster says he has one).
Old 04-05-2005, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

you can make the same rifle with your Hawken and order a Green Mountain drop in barrel with shorter length and faster twist for the conicals and the cost is about $160.

Also

MLKeith... an excellent idea. They make a short 21" .50 caliber with a 1:28 twist for that Hawkins of his.
===============================================

Need a link for this 21" GM barrel for the Hawkens. Can't find one anywhere. All I found is a 28" which still makes the rifle over 8.5 lbs... not what poster Oldguy wants. Thanks!
Old 04-05-2005, 03:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Need a link for this 21" GM barrel for the Hawkens. Can't find one anywhere. All I found is a 28" which still makes the rifle over 8.5 lbs... not what poster Oldguy wants. Thanks!
According to my Green Mountain I.B.S. Barrel Specification Chart barrel #910120 is a .50 caliber 21" 15/16th blued percussion barrel. In checking the Green Mountain I.B.S. Barrel Conversion Chart, a T/C Hawkins .50 caliber will accept barrel #910120

I have no link to give you Triple Se7en. I was only going by the booklet Green Mountain Barrel Co. sent me when I ordered my last barrel from them.

If your barrel is a 1" on the flats you would have to order barrel #910215 which is a .50 caliber 21" blued percussion barrel 1" on the flats which according to them will fit the larger Hawkin and Renegade stocks...

I have no idea what the loss of the 7"s of barrel would amount to for weight, but it should help some.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:31 PM

According to "Cal" at the Shootin Den in Colorado Springs, the most popular elk bullet out here is the .50 cal. 348 gr. Powerbelt - Aerotip version is supposed to penetrate a little better than the hollow point. Most hunters are shooting Triple 7 - 90 to 105 grains. Still lots of folks who swear by the 385 gr Buffalo Bullet - and the 410 gr. Hornady Great Plains.

A particularly nice in-line muzzleloader for the money is the T/C Black Diamond. I have seen them for not much over $200 . . . .
Old 04-06-2005, 06:50 AM
Fork Horn

Thans everyone for the great feedback! I am investigating several of your suggestions! I found the "Greeen Mountain" barrels. I have also
discovered that Cabelas carries them!

Thanks again!!!!!
Old 04-06-2005, 10:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Track of the Wolf usually has the best prices on the Green Mountain Barrels and they are excellent to work with... Give them a call and they will work with you for getting any barrel you might like. Or call Green Mountain Barrel Company direct. Great people there too...

Track of the Wolf
Old 04-06-2005, 01:17 PM

Oldguy - I hunted with a Hawken until last year, it just got too heavy to carry. I switched to a TC Black Diamond - it's the one with the 26 inch barrel - not the 24. I've seen them under $300 on sale. Shoots great, it's light and it's sling ready.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I switched to a TC Black Diamond - it's the one with the 26 inch barrel - not the 24.
Actually, the shorter Black Diamond is a 22". The short 22" comes in at 6.9 lbs.

See Black Diamond 22" Here (scroll down)

Buy It Here for $246.32 (Code #THO8932)

(NOTE) That 8 lb listing for the 22" Black Diamond at this website is not correct. It weighs 6.9 lbs (on average)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.