Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Thumbhole vs. Regular Stock? >

Thumbhole vs. Regular Stock?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Thumbhole vs. Regular Stock?

Old 03-21-2005, 06:58 AM
Spike

Default Thumbhole vs. Regular Stock?

If you had a choicefor your inline, would you buy a thumbhole or a regular stock and why?
Old 03-21-2005, 09:09 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Thumbhole vs. Regular Stock?

Personally the thumbhole does not feel right for me to carry especially for hunting. I sort of see the thumbhole as a target stock not a hunting stock. I'm sure you will get other opinions but that is mine. Most thumbhole stocks are wood and I also prefer the synthetic stocks for hunting rifles as they tend to change shape less than wood unless the wood is really expensive and well made (like the laminated ones that T/C uses).
Old 03-21-2005, 09:53 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: MLKeith

Personally the thumbhole does not feel right for me to carry especially for hunting. I sort of see the thumbhole as a target stock not a hunting stock. I'm sure you will get other opinions but that is mine. Most thumbhole stocks are wood and I also prefer the synthetic stocks for hunting rifles as they tend to change shape less than wood unless the wood is really expensive and well made (like the laminated ones that T/C uses).
I have to agree with MLKeith on this one. If the rifle was for the reason of hunting then I would go with a good compostite standard stock. If target shooting was what I was onto then the thumbhole model might be a better choice.

Go somewhere and handle both. See how comfortable it is to grab a thumbhole stock (cold climates with gloves mind you) and from a port arms pull that fast to your shoulder? The thumbhole to me is another distraction. I only shot a thumbhole model a couple times and really saw no advantage to them.

Practice more on cheek and grip placement on the standard stock and you can target shoot with the best of them.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:55 PM
Typical Buck

I like the thumbhole stock on rifles. I find more control off/hand with one.
I'll agree that they really are geared more towards target shooting, but that is what I'm basically doing when hunting anyway. Going for the perfect shot placement.

Changing my T/C Omega to thumbhole mostly because I got one for next to nothing, but it will be nice to have.

Pick up and shoulder as many types/styles as you can. You are the one that has to like it.
Some regular stocks are just fine as is.

I prefer one that has a bit more pitch in the wrist of the stock versus straight.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:48 AM
Typical Buck

I like the thumbhole if you are stalking or not in a stand where you get a good prop. shooting free hand standing the thumb hole feels steadier. I don't wear gloves even when its cold. by the way mine has a short barrel.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:37 AM

RED: I built a lot of Mausers and Springfields over the last 40 years ,my choice is a thumbhole roll over check piece stock,I find the only draw-back is the overall weight add alot to the gun.I would have to say it took me a while to get use to the straight stock over again,compared to a thumbhole but as age is setting in the weight of the gun is more important to me now.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:08 AM

Just imagine one day you had to shoot it from the other side. 'Nuff said?"
Old 03-22-2005, 08:12 PM

i have a thumbhole stock on my omega. i got it because it gives me a much more solid hold than a normal stock, but thats just me. i think it is also much more comfortable to hold/shoulder. as far as left handed shots, i feel comfortable making one if i need to out of a stand. you will just have to try both and see which works best for you.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:16 PM

I'll take the regular stock because i can't afford the thumbhole stock.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:05 AM

a friend has one,and it doesn't fit my hand. it is a T/C encor and the stock is just to thick to be comfortible. so you may want to try one a friend has or go to the range and see if someone will let you try one.
I hav long fingers and good size hands,but it is not right for me.

Quick Reply: Thumbhole vs. Regular Stock?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.