Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Crud ring question >

Crud ring question

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Crud ring question

Old 03-09-2005, 06:27 PM

Default Crud ring question

Hello everybody!

Been awhile since I've posted but I have a question. I purchased a new T/C Omega not long ago but because of work issues I have not had a chance to shoot it yet. I have said
before that I'm relatively new to Muzzleloading and on this forum and others I have read
about the "crud ring". I have seen many post that talk about the Triple Seven product
causing this ring but I don't recall seeing anything about Pyrodex (loose or pellets) causing this. Does (or will) Pyrodex cause the dreaded crud ring? That's my question.
I have also read good things about Black mag3 powder. I will be going to Cabela's soon
and may have to pick up some Black mag3. Seems this powder causes no crud ring.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you all.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:51 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Crud ring question

Use a good tight sabot, and no crud ring. Use a loose fitting projectile like a powerbelt, and you might.

Old 03-09-2005, 06:59 PM
Dominant Buck

A crud ring is nothing more then fowling of the powder in the barrel of the rifle near the area where the projectile sits. All powders produce a crud ring of sorts. Some powders perhaps worse then others. The difference in the crud ring that concerns black powder shooters is how hard the crud ring is.

Triple Se7en fowling is crusty and much harder then other powders. Since it is made from the burning of Triple Se7en it can be removed with simple water. So when you swab the bore of the rifle you have to pay special attention to the area near the breech. Work the barrel from the muzzle to the breech in short strokes with your cleaning patches and you should be fine.

Pyrodex produces a softer fowling then Triple Se7en but it is still fowling just the same and should be swabbed between shots for the best accuracy from your rifle.

Goex also produces fowling and again it can also be removed with a simple swabbing of the bore. The Black Mag3 I can not comment on. Clean Shot or AAP produces a fowling but not to the degree of some of the other powders.

No matter what powder you pick, be sure and carefully swab between shots and do not worry about the crud ring. Make sure you put a witness mark on your ramrod and that each projectile you load falls to the witness mark. If you're doing a good job of swabbing the dreaded crud ring will not be a problem....
Old 03-09-2005, 07:17 PM

i use 100 gr (2 50 gr pellets) out of my omega with a winchester primer with no problems with a 250 gr SST if that matters
Old 03-09-2005, 09:19 PM
bigcountry

Correct me if I am wrong, but it is speculated by many that the 777 crud ring is caused not exactly by the powder but the 209 primer pushing the pellets and projectile slightly off before full ignition which created an air gap where pressure and heat shoot up? Where Loose powder won't have this problem near as severe?

Thats the reason I didn't have any problem with my new power stem from knight and loose 777. So I figure.

Old 03-09-2005, 10:03 PM

I had the same problem when I got started muzzleloading last year. Started out with 2 50 grain pellets 777 and powerbelts, terrible crusting. Switched over to shockwave sabots and stopped lubing the barrel with bore butter as I did with the powerbelt and the crust ring was reduced greatly. Then I increased my load to 130 grains total in pellets and now I barely get a crust ring.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:26 AM
Typical Buck

I pretty much agree that all powders leave some kind of fouling. 777 is the worst in my rifle and so bad I refuse to shoot it anymore. APP is probably the least fouling except for Black Mag'3 which has so little that I hesitate to call it fouling. I get a little gray powder on a patch if I swab after four or five shots. With a 209 primer I get a little more than I get with the .25ACP primer although with Black Mag'3 I get slightly more velocity using the 209 primer. The increased velocity with less felt recoil compared to 777 has me convinced that Black Mag'3 my powder from now on.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:56 AM

I use Black Mag3 (loose powder) and I don't see much of a crud ring if any. My brother-in-law has a substantial crud ring and he is using a 209 primer against Triple 7 pellets, both in the 30 & 50 grain. Someone told me that the pellets were worse for a crud ring but I don't know that for a fact since I don't use pellets.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:23 AM
bigcountry

Guys, maybe I am wrong, but don't you think all this crud ring thing has gotten a little out of control? I have several muzzys and I swab with No13 between shots. I guess I am asking is why is it so important to a lot of people.

Old 03-10-2005, 09:32 AM
Dominant Buck

First off, I have never shot pellets in the inlines I own I admit. I have shot Triple Se7en, Pyrodex RS & P, and enough Goex to choke a horse and like Big Country, I swab with 50/50 alcohol and car windshield washer fluid between shots and have never really got all that concerned about crud rings.

I will say I sure like what I am reading about the Black Mag3. Graveyard zombie & MLKeith's posts on this powder are very informative and have sure sparked my interest. In fact I have my brother in Madison looking through the stores right now for a pound of the FFFg grade. I also ordered three pounds of Goex Pinnacle FFFg and am excited about giving that a test in the inlines this summer.

If shooters do a good job of swabbing between shots, crud rings should be the least of their worries. Make sure they watch the witness mark on the ramrods and when they start to fudge a little on the mark, then get a brass brush out too and scrub a little before you swab. And guys ... keep checking them breech plugs. You do not want to seize on up! [:@]

Quick Reply: Crud ring question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.