Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

barnes expanders

Old 03-03-2005, 04:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: barnes expanders

I think you like the slip fit idea and the idea of a heavy conical. I do not blame you. You also want to see good internal damage but have a pass through. Again I do not blame you. Tracking bear even with an exit hole is bad enough. I know all about hands and knees in a balsum thicket myself.

I think you might want to get a order of these .503 diameter 460 grain No Excuses Conicals. I shoot these out out my Thompson Center Black Diamond XR with excellent results. I shoot 85 grains of Goex or Triple Se7en.

This 3" X 5" index card was shot at 100 yards off a set of shooting sticks. The power of the No Excuses will blow through most anything from all the reports I have read. You might try these...
Old 03-05-2005, 09:34 AM

I called the folks at Power Belt last fall and was told the Aero Tips ''295 gr.'' would cause massive damage with no exit hole. I was advised to use the copper clad hollow point if i wanted a bullet that would exit and do less damage. I was'nt fortunate to kill a deer during BP season with it and was wondering if any of you have used this bullet and how it performed ?
Old 03-05-2005, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am relatively new to muzzleloading and have only used Barnes Expanders. I shoot a 50 cal. Knight Disc rifle topped with a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14 scope and spend alot of time at the range. I am consistently shooting 1" groups at 125 yards and 2" groups at 200 using 130 gr Pyrodex and 250 gr Expanders. I have killed several deer with this combo having all but one drop in their tracks with all bullets making complete pass throughs. The one deer that didn't drop only ran about 30 yards. I have recently purchased some 250 gr Hornady SST's to try before next season because reviews and range/hunting reports have been good. The Barnes Expander or the SST would both be great bullet choices. You will really have to test them in your gun and work up a load that performs for you. Good luck and let post your results when you have some.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:36 PM

JOE-BEEF,

The Powerbelts I was using are the copper clad hollow points, 245 grain. Needless to say, I wasn't happy with the results.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:39 AM
Fork Horn

mooseman44
You are correct, The copper clad Power Belts have no real copper jacket. As far as terminal results, they will behave exactly the same as their non-copper clad Power Belt brothers. The copper wash finish will help prevent barrel leading, and that's about all it will do. I would give the Hornady XTP's a try. Although they are a hollow point copper jacketed pistol type bullet, accuracy as well as terminal results have been excellent. Not just from my own personal experiance but others as well. They're reasonably priced as well.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:30 PM

ORIGINAL: mooseman44

Do they sell all copper powerbelts? I have been using lead core, copper plated powerbelts. They put about a 2.5" entrance hole and no exit hole. I found pieces of the bullet as far away as in the neck. Too much meat ruined for me. Anyway, is this a problem with all lead cored bullets, as I have shot T/C shockwaves that came with the gun. I got real nice groups with them, but never hunted with anything other than the powerbelts.
Lightweight hollowpoints right? I know someone who uses the 245 HP's and has gotten similar results. He told me they changed the hollowpoints on them (to reduce that effect I'd imagine).
Old 03-07-2005, 09:36 PM

JJWlll,

The hornadys were one of my choices, either them the T/C shockwaves or the barnes. My hunting partner uses the barnes with real nice results. The bullet opens up like a flower producing very sharp "petals". Only thing, they are not fun to get down the barrel. He shoots a remington 700 ml, and from what I've read on here the omega has a tighter barrel then most. Basically, I don't want to be hitting the ram rod with a hammer to get the sabot down (just kidding by the way). Anyone with experience loading any of the above bullets in an omega, your thoughts will be greatly appreciated (especially as to how easily they load).
Old 03-08-2005, 06:15 AM

Barnes 245 Spitfires. I took 3 deer with them this fall out of my Omega. 1 at 20, 1 at 50 and 1 at 201. Deadly bullets. They don't load horribly either. Snug but not too tight.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:37 PM
Fork Horn

mooseman44 Any chance your friend would give or even sell you a couple of those Barnes so you could try them out?
Old 03-08-2005, 03:03 PM

id look strongly at the hornady sst in 250 grain. i get excellent groups out of my omega with 100 gr pyrodex pellets, about 1" groups at 100 yards. I havent killed anything with them yet, but everybody ive heard of says they are awesome and many deer drop in their tracks. Ive heard they give excellent blood trails and pass throughs too, and I just cant wait to try them out next fall.

Quick Reply: barnes expanders

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.