Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Knight & 777 loose >

Knight & 777 loose

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight & 777 loose

Old 02-27-2005, 10:41 AM

Default Knight & 777 loose

What is the most that anybody is shooting in their Knight rifle.What bullet and what velocity are you getting with this load?
Old 02-27-2005, 10:54 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Knight & 777 loose

I won't go over 130gr. Knight said I can go up to 150gr. At least two techs said so, but one said he wouldn't. You won't be able to get much accuracy over 120gr I found. And velocity spread high. I bought this neat breech plug called powerstem. They used it on the 52. I put a report about it a few weeks ago.

I was thinking I wasted my money but the thing worked great. I was getting over 2100fps and the barrel was so much cleaner than before. The powerstem ignites the powder from the top. Seems to make it much more efficient. I has spreads less than 70fps. I got one group of 2.2" or so at 100 yards with 130gr and one .8" group at 50 yards with 120gr. This was with 250gr barnes expander and a magnum subbase.

Old 02-27-2005, 11:09 AM

What kind of groups was the rifle getting before thepowerstem install?
Old 02-27-2005, 11:24 AM
bigcountry

With loose I was getting 5" or more with high powered loads like the 130gr. I could get sub2moa with loose 100gr.

But with 3 777 pellets, I was able to get 2.5" groups at 100 yards regularly. But hate the cost of pellets, so I wanted to get away from that. With the powerstem and 130gr, I amnow matching the pellets in accuracy and perfromance. I have alot more experimenting to do. But am pleased now. I just like playing to be honest.

Old 02-27-2005, 11:36 AM

Wow that is pretty cool,I am in the same boat too,I love to shoot and like to experiment with different loads.A buddy of mine is a drop three pellets,stuff a bullet and call it day kinda guy.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can't use pellets with Powerstem. Don't see how the crud from 777 loose would be beneficial using the Powerstem either. Wouldn't you have to remove the Powerstem often so no powder gaps occur when crusty 777 fouling becomes present ..ie... encircling the stem?????
Old 02-27-2005, 01:34 PM
bigcountry

the crud from 777 loose
Yea, Triple, thats one down fall I found in my report below. After 15 rounds there was some crud but not near as much as I imagined. But knight said don't worry about. But I beg to differ. I don't think any danger, but now your charge has moved the sabot up a little at least, and would change the way it was fired and accuracy. One thing I was surprised, is how much cleaner the powerstem cause it to burn. I mean you shouldn't have to swap every shot even with tight sabots like barnes.

I had good luck so must not be a huge issue.

Old 02-28-2005, 06:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

Can't use pellets with Powerstem. Don't see how the crud from 777 loose would be beneficial using the Powerstem either. Wouldn't you have to remove the Powerstem often so no powder gaps occur when crusty 777 fouling becomes present ..ie... encircling the stem?????
I don't believe i ever said you could use the powerstem with pellets Triple Se7en
Old 03-01-2005, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't believe i ever said you could use the powerstem with pellets Triple Se7en
=============================================

This thread has expanded on it's original topic Newman. Read the post again by big country - just prior to mine.

Yea, Triple, thats one down fall I found in my report below. After 15 rounds there was some crud but not near as much as I imagined. But knight said don't worry about. But I beg to differ. I don't think any danger, but now your charge has moved the sabot up a little at least, and would change the way it was fired and accuracy. One thing I was surprised, is how much cleaner the powerstem cause it to burn. I mean you shouldn't have to swap every shot even with tight sabots like barnes.

I had good luck so must not be a huge issue.
Have you ever considered the expensive Black Mag-3 for that stem?
The powder is FFF-composition - strength is very good, recoil is lessened & fouling is very minimal according to range reports here.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:52 AM
bigcountry

Yep Triple I consider it. But like with 777 I plan to wait and see and let that price go down a tad.

Quick Reply: Knight & 777 loose

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.