Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Who hunts traditinal >

Who hunts traditinal

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Who hunts traditinal

Old 02-23-2005, 08:20 AM

Default Who hunts traditinal

who here hunts with a flintlock or somthing not the new s&w stuff the nice old flintlocks? just want to see how many my friends think i am crazy cause they shot at 200yards and i shoot maybe up to 100 if i feel good lol

Old 02-23-2005, 08:57 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Who hunts traditinal

Just bought my first flintlock after over 30 years of muzzleloading.
I hunt with side-lock percussions all the time. Got a bunch of sidelocks and in-lines.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:40 AM
Dominant Buck

I hunt with flintlocks, sidelocks, smoothbores, and inlines. It all depends on the mood I am in and where I am hunting. My first priority is to fill the freezer for the winter. Once I have that done the rest of the season is pure pleasure. There are some locations where I hunt where each rifle has a real advantage over the other.

Long field shots the inline is a better choice. Field edges where the shots are under a 100 yards, then the .58 caliber is a great rifle. If I am down in the marsh I have taken the .62 caliber smoothbore. At close range that gun will deliver a lot of lead accurate. Once the season has been going, I often times will walk around with a small light .50 caliber either flintlock or sidelock.

I can honestly say I enjoy shooting all my rifles no matter what kind of ignition they have. Being traditional has nothing to do with it for me....
Old 02-23-2005, 12:31 PM
Typical Buck

I can honestly say I enjoy shooting all my rifles no matter what kind of ignition they have. Being traditional has nothing to do with it for me....
Same here Cayugad! If it makes smoke, it's ok with me as well!

Old 02-23-2005, 12:53 PM

I hunt with flint rifles (.32, .45, and .54), and a 20 bore fowler. If I don't hunt with a uzzleloader, i will use a cartridge gun. Inlines just don't fill a need for me.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:44 PM

ORIGINAL: deersniper101

who here hunts with a flintlock or somthing not the new s&w stuff the nice old flintlocks? just want to see how many my friends think i am crazy cause they shot at 200yards and i shoot maybe up to 100 if i feel good lol

Crossed the threshold 3 years ago and all I've hunted with since have been flintlocks and PRB's...filled 6 deer tags/season, three years in a row...also took my first flintlock squirrel this past season...
Old 02-23-2005, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot flintlock.
Inlines are too close to centerfire for me to be interested in them. I figured if I was to try MLing, I might as well go the distance. I have nothing against those that like inlines, I just haven't found personal interest in them. I also don't get alot of free time to shoot much, so one ML is plenty for me. If I ever retire and have "FREE" time, who knows what will happen.
Shoot what you like, we're all brothers in arms, and it's all good!
Old 02-23-2005, 08:28 PM
Typical Buck

I shoot sidelock and inline.Both fun to shoot,and have killed deer with both.Never shot a flinter,but if New York ever starts a flint only season,you can bet your PRB,s I will buy one.

Charlie
Old 02-24-2005, 03:46 AM
Typical Buck

I'm with Cayugad all depends on the conditions. Mostly I'm hunting on my own land so from November 1 till December 31 I have the choice of Rifle, Shotgun, BP, or Bow. Generally Rifle to fill the freezer and the first few days with the Rut on to be sure on the wall hanger. Then its for fun and out comes the various BPs. Iv'e thought about bringing both the 270 and the Pennslyvanian BP at the same time. Not even sure if it would be legal. Heck on my own property contiguous to my house it gets a bit strange to figure out your rights with respect to game laws.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:21 AM

Depends on how desperate I am to fill a tag and what season. I own a flint, an in-line, and a Ruger 1. And I plan on building another flint. This year, where I live, the late ML season was poor due to an almost complete lack of snow.

Quick Reply: Who hunts traditinal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.