Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Omega shooters; What base and rings? >

Omega shooters; What base and rings?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega shooters; What base and rings?

Old 02-21-2005, 12:38 PM
BHS

Default Omega shooters; What base and rings?

What scope base and rings are you using? I'm mounting a 3x9x40 Buckmaster in matte blue to a stainless Omega. I am considering the Leupold dual dovetail, Maxima ($$$) and Leopold Rifleman (Warne & aluminum). I'm leaning toward the dual dovetail because its machined steel and cheaper than the Maxima, and its a Leupold. What do ya think?
Thanks...
Old 02-21-2005, 12:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Omega shooters; What base and rings?

Leupold QR & Base or QRW rings and T/C weaver base. You will be glad you did.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:51 PM
BHS

I thought after repeated shots the recoil would cause the quick release to get sloppy. Not true?
Old 02-21-2005, 03:06 PM
Fork Horn

I put a set of detachable Warnes on my Omega. Figured if I was going to spend the money on a quality in-line with a Zeiss scope, there was no point scrimping on the rings. And I am glad I went the extra mile. I like the ability of taking my scope off to clean it and sticking it back on and have it go right back to zero everytime. I am sure the Leopold detachables are equally good.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:42 PM

anything leupold should be fine...i would go steel if i was you
Old 02-21-2005, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

sounds good
Old 02-21-2005, 09:47 PM

I own a laminated stainless Omega. I went with a Warne stainless base and standard medium rings. At first I thought the low rings would have been better, but the medium has worked out just fine. I also removed the rear and front sights. I shoot 777 and cleaning is snap even with the scope attached to the barrel.

Like others have said, go with steel base and rings. QD rings is a personal preference, kinda like see through rings, it's all in what works for you and your hunting situation.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:19 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: BHS

I thought after repeated shots the recoil would cause the quick release to get sloppy. Not true?
Hi BHS, Not with Lupey rings. They do not loosen until you loosen them.

I've got several weapons with either Leupold QR or QRW rings and bases ranging from 50 cal ML's to 300 WinMag. I've shot hundreds and hundreds of magnum loads and rounds and have never had one budge.

I've got a Weatherby in 30/06 that I use two different scopes for different loads on with the same base using QR rings. POI does not change at 100 yards. At 200+ yards you might see a slight POI change that you might adjust for.

I remove the scopes for rifle cleaning every time. Only a couple of times when re-installing, has the POI not exactly been where it was prior. Both times was less than 1.5" off at 100 yards. At first, I used to always check the POI with the Leupold QR & QRW rings and bases but don't even bother anymore.

As far as other MFG rings and bases. Don't know and don't wish to find out.

My .002
Old 02-22-2005, 04:34 PM
Typical Buck

I put Leopold QR base and medium rings on my Omega.Mounted a Nikon 3x3x40 scope.Worked out well for me.Easy to remove and returns to zero.

Charlie
Old 02-22-2005, 07:35 PM

Anybody have any experience with the new Talley brand one piece base and rings for the omega? They are made from 7000 series aluminum. I wondered about over-tightening and stripping the ring threads? Cabela's have them for $50. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Omega shooters; What base and rings?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.