Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Traditions Muzzleloader >

Traditions Muzzleloader

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Traditions Muzzleloader

Old 02-16-2005, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default Traditions Muzzleloader

I have a Traditions Muzzleloader and I was wondering if anyone had any information on switching it to a 209 prime. I know you need to have a conversion kit but I was wondering where I could get this.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Traditions Muzzleloader

Howdy!
Which model?
Old 02-16-2005, 01:05 PM
bigcountry

I would suggest going to the traditions web page.

http://www.traditionsmuzzle.com/eSho...ion+Components

Old 02-16-2005, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

209 primers are vastly overrated. Buy a hotter #11 nipple like RedHot, Splitfire, HotShot... etc .... then buy hot #11 caps like RWS Dynamit Nobel, CCI-Mag or Remington.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Unless you want to shoot pellets I really see no reason for the 209 primers. Like Triple Se7en said, get a Uncle Mike's Hot shot nipple and a hotter #11 cap or switch over to a musket cap perhaps. I shoot the 209's only because they came with the gun, but in my Knight it shoots #11 caps and I would not change a thing about it.....
Old 02-16-2005, 08:51 PM
bigcountry

I shoot 209's in my elite cause thats the breech plug that came with it. But in my knight MK, I bought the conversion kit for 209's and found a accuracy penalty using them. I was getting 2"-3" groups at 100 yards with No11 and that opened up consistently to 4-5" with winchesters.

Reason I changed was I wanted to shoot pellets and wiht No11, I had a misfire on a deer. Which I ended up going back to loose anyway.

My elite shoots the 209's well, but you have to use a tight fitting sabot. Really 209 is way too hot. But you a almost assured a fire, when you pull that trigger.

Old 02-17-2005, 06:45 AM
Dominant Buck

I own 3 Traditions inlines ,
all of them have #11 nipples on them , although one came with a 209 breechplug too . I shoot Pyrodex pellets a lot and they go off every time , I use ordinary Remington #11 caps . Don't fall for the 209 hype , you don't need them .
Old 02-17-2005, 07:22 AM
bigcountry

I shoot Pyrodex pellets a lot and they go off every time
Well, Kevin, it only takes one experience, wouldn't you agree? I guess what I am asking is, "does a man have to make the mistake for himself, before changing his ways, or is it possible to learn off others?"

My scenerio was bad from the start. I was shooting pellets 15 shots the day before my hunt. It was shootin so good, that I didn't clean the gun at all besides my swabbing between shots. Maybe I should have cleaned the nipple at least. Maybe your right and a #11 is all that is needed.

Old 02-17-2005, 12:49 PM
Typical Buck

Maybe I should have cleaned the nipple at least.
This is such a true statement and also really applies to breech plugs as well!

I've had no fires, mis fires and delayed fires over the years because I forget to run a wire in the breech plug or nipple.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:44 PM
bigcountry

Well, afterwards, all the techs at knight was telling me they wasn't surprised, they get alot of calls and they recommend using 209's for pellets.

Any way it goes, I don't take a chance. I just change my load to work with it.

Quick Reply: Traditions Muzzleloader

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.