Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

BP revolvers

Old 02-16-2005, 12:03 AM

Default BP revolvers

Who's got one? Any use for them other than novelty? Better yet, does anyone have some potential ballistics numbers (muzzel V/E) for me to take a gander at?
Old 02-16-2005, 04:04 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: BP revolvers

I have a Traditions Trapper that pretty much matches my Pennsylvanian long gun. It’s a blast to shoot. I shoot it more than any of my BPs. Its real easy to clean, fits right on the coffee table and I can clean it while watching the boob tube my second favorite hobby. I’m looking at the Traditions Buckhunter Pro with the 14 & ¾ inch barrel that they claim shoots accurate at 50 yards with max load of 80 grains. Ouch I think $300 been looking for a discounted one! Sorry don't know any ballistic data.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

i had one. a repro Navy (18??). is was a blast to shoot, but a pain in the rear to clean. only shot it a couple times in the years I had it. gave it to a friend of mine.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:43 AM

I got a Rem. and Colt and very seldom shoot them due to having to clean.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:02 AM
bigcountry

I finally got a walker 44. Can't hit the side of a barn with it. But its fun. Havne't chrono'd, or shot much. Supposed to be able to handle 45gr of powder. I have only shot 30gr so far.

Old 02-16-2005, 10:11 AM
Dominant Buck

I have the F. L. Lippieta 1858 New Army .44 caliber target model revolver. I bought it from Cabela's. The revolver is a lot of fun to shoot. 25 grains of Goex 3f and a .451 roundball and wonderwad, this thing will really shoot. It is not something you're going to rapid fire because you have to cock them careful to avoid the caps jamming up, but it sure is a blast. I squirrel hunt and bunny hunt with it sometimes, but mostly target shoot.

As they already said, these revolvers are a pain in the you know where to clean. A friend of mine said he takes his, removed the wooden handles and runs it through the dishwasher. He said it comes out HOT and CLEAN, then he oils it up after it cools and puts it all back together. I have not tried that due to the lack of a dishwasher.. but I have pulled the handles and washed it in a bucket of hot soapy water, then run solvent patches through it and oil it all back up and it works fine.

If you are not an avid shooter, you might be better off with a rifle. They are easier to clean and just as much fun. Unless you like the mess..
Old 02-16-2005, 10:11 AM
Typical Buck

I have a 1858 Remington Replica - what a blast to shoot!!

They really aren't THAT bad to clean - especially if you shoot Triple Seven powder. I was at the range last week with mine - fired off about 50 shots or so. When I got home, I took the grips off (1 whole screw), put the cylinders in a Simple Green/Water solution to soak, and put the frame in a pan of hot water. Then I scrubbed the frame with a toothbrush and ran a bore brush thru the barrel a couple times and the frame was clean - just a matter of drying it off and oiling it for storage. The cylinders take a little more work, since you really need to take the nipples off to make sure they are cleaned well. I got a little cheap Ultrasonic Cleaner from Harbor Freight ($30) and I use it to vibrate the cylinders clean while I work on the frame - not a bad little set up. So overall cleanup time was about an hour - and I usually work slow on my cleaning too.

As far as ballistics go, I'm getting close to 600fps using .454" round balls and 30gr of Pyro P or 28gr of 3fg Triple Seven. It is real accurate too - 6 shots will eliminate about a 2" circle of paper off of a target at 10 yds.

They will also hunt if you so choose, my son took a 140lb boar using 180gr conical bullets in it with 30gr of Goex Black.......... 1 shot cut all the way thru the chest cavity and then thru the opposite leg as well - took Porky right to the ground.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:20 AM

In iowa you have to be 21 to purchase a hand gun, do black powder pistols fall into this law? Just wondering cause black powder rifles don't follow many of the rules that regular rifles have to go by.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a couple of the Ruger Old Army's.One's stainless and the other is a Ruger Brass framed model.The Brass Frame is unfired. My Stainless shoots well.The OA uses a .457 RB around 30-35 grains of powder.To tell you how often I shoot it. It's been loaded since a special BP hunt I went on back 12 years ago.Been in a safe ever since.I remember the year well. I was a newly soon to be free man again.(divorced) LOL.It still has the original caps. I guarantee all six will fire.The OA's are a very strong gun and quite accurate. Ruger is making them with adjustable or fixed sights.The Ruger's cost a little more but worth the extra cost.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 02-17-2005, 03:12 AM
Typical Buck

Sounds like the pistol pain in the arse is with six shooters. The single shot trapper really cleans up pretty easy. Not sure about the age thing been to old to long to even think about it.

Quick Reply: BP revolvers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.