Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 muzzleloader for elk >

muzzleloader for elk

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

muzzleloader for elk

Old 02-02-2005, 11:47 AM
tda

Default muzzleloader for elk

will be hunting elk in col. this fall with ML and would like to hear recommendations on bullet size, powder charge etc. will be using Knight .50 cal.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: muzzleloader for elk

My group uses powerbelts, either 348 or 405 grains. We use 777 powder between 90-110 grains. Each rifle is different, and you will have to find your owns "sweet spot'. I assume you know that you have to use loose powder and conical bullets (no sabots). Lots of elk have gone down with Maxiballs, buffalo bullets, and I hear lots of good things about NO Excuse bullets. I just like the powerbelts due to ease of loading. Good luck
Old 02-04-2005, 05:54 PM

I live in CO and went out last year for the first time for elk with my CVA Kodiak .50 with 100 gr. Pyodex Select and a 295 gr. Powerbelt Aero Tip. I did not harvest an elk so I can't tell you if that set-up works or not. In CO you can't use pelitized powder and no sabots. Also no scopes (fiber optic sights are ok) and the bullet cannot be more than twice as long as it is wide (No bullets over 1.0) for .50 cal. I do know that my rifle shoots this setup quite well. There are many types of conicals that one can use and if I had to do it again I might try a heavier bullet for the elk. Hope this helps.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Since you have a Knight, be careful and check if you use Powerbelts. Some of them will slip off the charge. Check it from time to time if this is your choice.

Another option since sabots are not allowed are .460 grain No Excuses Conicals. I think you will find them very accurate out of your Knight rifle and with the weight of them will get excellent penetration. I shoot them out of my Wolverine with 85 grains of Goex 3f and the accuracy is outstanding.

I have read posts by other Knight owners and they found them accurate also.... Just a thought for you. Put that big conical in the rifle place and it will do the rest.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:41 AM
tda

looks like some pretty light powder charges, but i'm no expert. do any of you have specific ballistics on your loads?
Old 02-09-2005, 10:03 AM
Typical Buck

I have shot elk with 80gr. of Clear Shot and 348gr. Powerbelt, 90gr. Black Mag'3 and 300gr. Hornady SST, 90gr. Black Mag'3 and 295gr. Powerbelt and all shots went completely through the chest cavity (none hit major bone but took out ribs). These shots were at about 80 to 110 yards. Why would you want more power????
Old 02-09-2005, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Definately enough power for elk. The info I have seen suggests that powerbelts do better when they are not pushed to 150 grain max loads. Stay together better with less framentation.

Don't get caught up in the foot lbs. of a muzzleloader. Big slow bullets KILL. As the buffalo that were almost wiped out. Look at this link to see another theory about how big slow bullets do the job:

http://www.loadammo.com/Topics/July02.htm

go to the powerbelts website and they have balistics charts. I feel very comfortable with 95 grains 777 with 405 grain powerbelts out to 120 yards. My max on elk with open sights (required by Colorado) is 100 yards.

I like powerbelts and have found a good, accurate load, so I will probably stick with that, but I may also try the 460 grain no excuses conicals. Have not heard anyone say anything bad about them for both accuracy or performance on elk.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:45 AM

Why would you want more power????
Because it's a "guy" thing?
Old 02-10-2005, 09:13 PM

I shoot an old CVA MT Rifle 28 yrs old, 34" 50cal. For ELK i use 90 gr of fff with 275 gr TC maxi hunter, killed 14 with this load, only one animal went over 30 yds. One important thing to know and remember 95 % of the animals shot with a muzzel loader will not leave a very good blood trail if any at all. this load works for me just have to find out what your old girl will shoot the best.
Big and fast isn't always better. Shoot well
Old 02-11-2005, 06:36 PM
tda

thanks for the replies. lots of info, keep it coming as i have alot of work to do getting a gun and load ready for this trip.

Quick Reply: muzzleloader for elk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.