Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 How far do you feel comfortable shooting? >

How far do you feel comfortable shooting?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How far do you feel comfortable shooting?

Old 01-28-2005, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How far do you feel comfortable shooting?

I practice a decent amount with my Blackpowder rifle - out to 100yds. I've always been pretty happy with the groups I get at 100 (sighted on for 100) - and never really considered how far I could maybe really shoot.

Well this year in the late BP season, I hunted an open field, and had a buck come out at 130-140 yds. I waited as long as I could, but it was obvious he was getting farther, not closer and it was nearing dusk. I thought about trying to get down and sneak closer - but decided against the offhand shot in the field. I decided to shoot. I had a good, solid rest, and a good idea of the ballistics. I laid the crosshairs across the back, and squeezed the shot off. The deer staggered - went 50 yds and fell. I was thrilled to say the least.

I recovered the bullet, and while it wasn't pristine - it wasn't mushroomed either. I was shooting a 240grain JHP .44 using a sabot and 100grains of pwder (pellets).

So - did I shoot too far for the load? Obviously the deer died, but was I lucky - there wasn't much of a blood trail? I'm curious how far others feel comfortable shooting with a similar setup?

Thanks
FH
Old 01-28-2005, 10:39 PM

Default RE: How far do you feel comfortable shooting?

Congrats on making a nice shot. As you stated the deer died so it wasn't to far of a shot for the load. Regardless if there wasn't a blood trail or the bullet didn't expand. I've seen deer shot at close range with a high powered rifle and not leave a blood trail over that distance.

Were you lucky? I doubt it since you alluded to the fact that you practice a decent amount of time. Practice makes perfect right?

I don't know what you are shooting, but the newer inlines today are quite capable of shots out to 150 yards. I also shoot 100 grains of powder(2 50gr. pellets) and I can shoot a 1 inch group at 100 yards from a rest. Where I hunt, I know my shot is going to be well under 100 yards. If I had a place to hunt where I might shoot out to 150 yards I probably would bump my load up to 150 grains. I don't even know how much of a difference the extra 50 grains would make. I'm curious, does anybody have an idea how much a difference the extra powder would make? I'll be checking back on this.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:20 PM
Dominant Buck

With my scoped Black Diamond XR I would feel comfortable to shoot out to 150 yards. I have practiced that far but normally because of where I hunt, I shoot most of my practice at 100 yards and closer. With my Knight since it is RED DOTTED I would limit myself to 100 yards. Granted the rifle could shoot better but I do not practice further then that and with the red dot, you are a lot more limited them you might believe. I also RED DOTTED the CVA Staghorn but have not shot it much since.

With my .58 caliber and roundball I would take a 100 yard shot with the open sights in a blink of an eye. This rifle is a real shooter. I could shoot further but all things would have to be to my agreement to do so. I have other traditional rifles and they are all good shooters but I limit my open sight shooting to 100 yards more for old eyes then lack of a better reason. I hate to push my luck and wound a animal because I thought I could make the shot....

I am glad to read that so many shooters practice. I know far to many shooters that do not practice near enough, yet take shots that they really do not have the skills for, in my opinion.....
Old 01-29-2005, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I recovered the bullet, and while it wasn't pristine - it wasn't mushroomed either. I was shooting a 240grain JHP .44 using a sabot and 100grains of pwder (pellets).

So - did I shoot too far for the load? Obviously the deer died, but was I lucky - there wasn't much of a blood trail? I'm curious how far others feel comfortable shooting with a similar setup?
===============================================

I choose not to use a jacketed bullet at 100 gr ML bullet speeds. Because you were not happy with bullet preformance, a jacketed bullet I would suggest would have a lead nose with a small hollow in the middle not exceeding 3/16ths. I know Speer makes such a bullet in their non-Gold Dot lineup.

With my Omega, 200 yard shots are fine for me in good weather days. With my 58-cal T/C Renegade sidelock, 125 yards was my max in 2004. Later this spring, I'm taking the scope off & switching it to a roundball-only rifle. I suspect my range with roundballs will drop to 100 yards. I bought another Renegade stock last year & just recently a 50-cal fast-twist barrel for heavy conical use. I'm putting the scope on that one. That one may eventually work to 150 yards.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:16 PM

I'm sighted at 75 yards, it is tough to see farther than 50 where I hunt, but sometimes on a power line right of way 100 is possible. My Power Belt is about 3" low there, so I'm real comfortable that far. Beyond that it'd just be a guess how high to hold.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:41 PM

I would be comfortable now out to 150 with my Omega. By next season, hopefully it will be 200+. If all the factors would be good, I hope to be good past 200 yards.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:34 AM

The range I shoot at has 100 yd rifle - I don't have a ballastic program to know how high to zero my Black Diamond XR for longer shots, so I limit myself to 100 yds. I'm shooting the TC conicals, 375 gr.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:22 AM

I am sighted in at 150 yards. Shooting a Knight disc 50 caliber, 150 grains of Pyrodex, and 275 grain sabot. Not rifle type groups, but I could hit a small coffee can every time.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

The front dot starts to blot out the target when I attempt shots over 100 yards, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it. I am limited to open sights by law in flintlock season in PA.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:36 AM

I must be around the same age as Cayugad because I always seem to agree with everything he says. He also mentioned "old eyes" and I too have a pair of those that thankfully scopes seem to help out. I generally shoot a 100 yards or less because that is what I seem to limit myself to by the terrain that I hunt. I hunt with a muzzleloader from treestands that I put up during bow season and the ranges only get a little further when the leaves finally go away. I will always pass on a shot if I feel it is not one of a high percentage because just as Cayugad said, I do not want to wound one. I did shoot a extremely nice buck last month from around a hundred & forty yards with a Knight Wolverine but I have shot that rifle on a range at 150 yards and knew what it could do. I was also shooting at the buck in an open field with no obstructions in my way and leaning my rifle against a tree trunk for a solid rest. So I guess the answer is what your rifle and load will do and especially what PRACTICE will allow you to do.

Quick Reply: How far do you feel comfortable shooting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.