Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 swabbing the bore between rounds >

swabbing the bore between rounds

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

swabbing the bore between rounds

Old 01-18-2005, 06:13 PM

Default swabbing the bore between rounds

I am a newbie, do I need to swab the bore between each shot? Also when shooting sabots is it nessessary to put a patch between the powder charge and the sabot?
Old 01-18-2005, 06:20 PM

Default RE: swabbing the bore between rounds

If you are going to be shooting sabots you will probably need to swab between shots, even if it just a spit patch. As far as a patch between the powder and the sabot, don't do that, the sabot will make the seal.

swatts
Old 01-18-2005, 06:28 PM

What type of muzzle loader are you shooting? Some of them have a tighter bore than others.

swatts
Old 01-18-2005, 07:00 PM

I shoot a Knight wolverine .50 cal
Old 01-18-2005, 07:17 PM

As far as swabbing between shots goes, it depends a lot on the type of powder you are going to use. If you are using Triple Se7en, then without question, you'll have to swab between shots, especially if using sabots. There are those out there that have reported using BlackMag3 and American Pioneer powders without swabbing between shots, but I personally have not used these two powders. I do have experience with Triple Se7en and it requires a swab between EVERY shot for ease of loading and best accuracy!
Old 01-18-2005, 07:35 PM
Typical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: MOTurkeyTamer

There are those out there that have reported using BlackMag3 and American Pioneer powders without swabbing between shots

I have shot both APP and BM3 powders and you do not have to swab between shots with either of these powders. I usually run a patch with a little cleaner on it or a wet patch from T/C at about six or seven shots just to make me feel good. I think especially with Black Mag3 the number of shots that are possible without a swab between is probably more than 30. If you decide to try American Pioneer Powder I recommend that you get fffg granulation as the ffg is very coarse. Black Mag3 only comes one way (perfect). I am a big BM3 fan.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:01 PM

FWIW I fired over 30 shots in a row on Sunday (with temps in the 20s) using American Pioneer Powder in 3F granulation and look at the patches in the picture below. The 1/2-patch on the LEFT below was all the build up in the barrel from those 30+ shots. I never swabbed or wiped the barrel between shots even once! That AP-Powder does not build up one bit. Plus I get great accuracy too as it will put all PRBs through the same hole @ 25 yards from the bench or chunk (50cal percussion Mowrey).

Lastly, I cleaned the rifle up with Butch's Blackpowder Bore Shine and that patch on the right below is only the 3rd patch put down the barrel that had any solvent on it. Remember, 30+ straight shots in cccold weather (no misfires either). Oh yeah, I use thin cotton patches "dry lubed" ala Dutch Schultz's method (soaked in moose milk and dried flat). Boy, it sure cleans up fast & easy with the combo of AAP and Butch's solvent.

Old 01-19-2005, 08:28 AM
Typical Buck

For consistancy and easiest loading, I swab between every shot regardless of what weapon, powder or pellet, projectile or primer I am using. Also makes for a much less filthy ML at the end of the shooting session.
Process:
1-Spit patch down and up, flip the patch and do again.
2-Alcohol patch down and up, flip the patch and do again.
3-Dry patch down and up, flip the patch and do again.

You may need to swab every time or every few to several shots depending on the following;
Difficulty in loading, Barrel tolerance, powder, primer, bullet (Especially with Sabots), and grouping.