Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 ADVISE FOR BEGINNER >

ADVISE FOR BEGINNER

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

ADVISE FOR BEGINNER

Old 01-15-2005, 11:01 AM
Spike

Default ADVISE FOR BEGINNER

I ALMOST STARTED A FIST FIGHT AT BASS PRO THE OTHER DAY WHEN I ASKED FOR HELP GETTING STARTED - BEING NEW TO BLACK POWDER. THEY WERE STILL ARGUING WHEN I LEFT AND I WAS MORE CONFUSED THAN WHEN I WALKED IN. I'VE SEEN ALL THE KNIGHT & T/C COMMERCIALS BUT DON'T REALLY KNOW THE DIFFERENCE. ALSO, I'M NOT ONE FO THESE GUYS WHO NEEDS THE BEST OR THE LATEST MODEL OR NAME BRAND. THANKS FOR ANY HELP
Old 01-15-2005, 12:50 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: ADVISE FOR BEGINNER

What is it you want to know? If it is advise on a brand or make of rifle, then you could not go wrong shooting a Knight or Thompson Center. Both are excellent made rifles with good warranty and customer service.

If top of the line is not necessary, then look at the Knight Wolverine, or USA American. Both of them are good rifles. In the Thompson Center, then look at the Black Diamond or the Black Diamond XR.

As for the other rifles out there, most of them are all good shooters. If you can give us an idea of what your looking for, perhaps a more specific answer could be made.

Type of action (sidelock, break open, striker, bolt), caliber, barrel length, twist rate, what kind of projectiles do you want to shoot, kind of stock you like, all of them are factores. Also what kind of price range do you want to stay with.....
Old 01-15-2005, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

cayugad asked good questions and is a great source of learned info but meanwhile I suggest you check out this

http://www.dallastacticalsupply.com/...id=NEF&catid=7 (I recommend the 24" ss model) and get yourself two or three packs of these http://www.dallastacticalsupply.com/...temid=NEM03059

If you want to scope, you would likely need to order the base and hammer extension combo from H&R at 978-630-8220 - about $23 total last I knew.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Willie

The ML Best Buy right now is the Knight Wolverine for $139 and $169 at Natchez. They are down to their last few 45s. A couple months ago, for several years, these rifles were twice the money. Great gun for a fantastic price.

Click Here For Knight Wolverine 209 26" barrel
Old 01-16-2005, 01:06 PM
Spike

GUYS, WHEN I SAID BEGINNER I MEANT IT. UNTIL LAST WEEK I'VE NEVER EVEN LOOKED AT A M/L UP CLOSE. NOT EVEN FAMILIAR WITH THE DIFFERENT TYRES OF ACTION. WAS THINKING THAT ABREAK OVER LOOKED EASIER TO MAINTAIN AND PROBABLY A 45 CAL SINCE I HAVE NEVER HAD A SHOT OVER 75 YARDS. THE AREA I HUNT IS SHOTGUN ONLY AND I CURRENTLY USE A REMINGTON 1187 SP RIFLED CATILIVER SCOPE MT 2.5 POWER SCOPE. SO FAR, THIS HAS BEEN MT FAV. DEER GUN. THANKS, WILL LOOK INTO THE INFO ALREADY POSTED
Old 01-16-2005, 05:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Willie T .. in order to keep this simple, this would be a good rifle to look into and the price is sure hard to beat. This NEF Sidekick has gotten some great reviews and being a break open might be something you're looking for without investing a lot of money. Loaded with the right sabot and powder combination and scoped, I see no reason why this would not be a 150 yard rifle with practice.

This site also has some Tradition rifles and other brands, but the price changes as you will note. For 75 yard shots a simple sidelock with a patched roundball would be all you need. If you want the traditional aspect of shooting, then you could go that route. I personally would stick with a .50 caliber in any inline and in a sidelock I would go with the .54 caliber........

NEF Sidekick Rifle
Old 01-16-2005, 10:57 PM

Most if not all of the major players in the muzzle loading game offer rifles with a break open action. They definitely are much easier to keep clean. Personally, I've owned 2 Thompson Center guns that were the traditional side hammer. They were a pain in the butt to clean. A few years ago I switched to a Knight D.I.S.C. and I couldn't be happier. The D.I.S.C. is basically a small plastic disk that you preload a 209 primer in. Once the gun is loaded all you have to do is pop open the bolt, drop a disk in, close the bolt and your ready for business. With this set up, you don't have to mess with a capper or have to pry the cap off with a pocket knife when you have to take it out. Just pop the bolt open and it will drop out into your hand. This also makes it a little bit more impervious to the elements. Cleaning it is a cinch.
Bottom line, Thompson Center and Knight both make top notch guns, but I'd have to give Knight the advantage because they use Green Mountain Barrels. There a little pricier though.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:01 AM

Willie and anyone else looking for a good buy on a good gun, my son just bought a Knight Wolverine,stainless 26", black composite at a Cabela's store for 199.99. I almost bought one for my wife even tho she doesn't hunt.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:24 AM

Willie,

Someone mentioned the TC Black Diamond rifles. Caballe's has the TC Black Diamond XR on sale in their recent sale catalog for $179. I paid $269 for mine just before I got this catalog. I can't use a rifle that uses a 209 primer. You might want to check what's legal where you hunt before plunking down your money, I know the restrictions on what I can use cut the pool of possible rifles down quite a bit. I'm very happy with my TC Black Diamond XR.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:13 AM
Typical Buck

Also allow a budget of at least $100 extra for accessories to include powder, primers, cleaning and lubrication, tools, bullets, loaders and so on.
See the thread: ML accesories

Quick Reply: ADVISE FOR BEGINNER

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.