Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

.50?

Old 01-11-2005, 03:33 PM

Default .50?

I will be ml for the first time this year. Is .50 the way to go? I've hear good things about the T/C encore, any idea what price that runs?
Old 01-11-2005, 05:47 PM

Default RE: .50?

Most shooters agree that the .50 is the way to go. Although there are those who like the .45 also. An Encore 209x50 will run you AT LEAST $500 and on up depending on what style barrel (blued, camo, stainless) and stock (walnut, synthetic, camo, thumbhole,etc.) you prefer. Good luck with your choice!
Old 01-14-2005, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you want to shoot sabots, then I would go with a 50. If you will shoot conicals, a 50 or 54 will work well, assuming you find a bullet your gun will shoot and work up a load it likes.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:53 PM
Dominant Buck

There are more and larger projectiles for the .50 caliber. Also in some states for large game such as Elk and Moose a .45 caliber is considered too small. The .50 caliber will do anything the .45 caliber can do and then some.

As for the Encore.. it is a great rifle. I wish I had one. Another great rifle is the Omega. They both are great only the Omega is pure muzzleloader.

Which ever rifle you choose get the .50 caliber and have fun.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Bearbong

I will be ml for the first time this year. Is .50 the way to go? I've hear good things about the T/C encore, any idea what price that runs?
I am muzzleloading for the first time too, you may want to check your states laws on hunting with a muzzleloader. I am in Washington state, and I can't use the encore, or the omega. Washington state law states that the primer/cap must be exposed to the elements. I can't even go with a 209 shotgun primer. In Washington we can't use scopes either, so before buying a gun, make sure it will be legal to hunt with.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:03 AM
Typical Buck

If you have a more primitive weapon rule, the T/C Hawken or Renegade sidlelock in .50 cal are excellent rifles. There are also several other decent sidelock rifles in .50 available from other mfg's.

Perhaps your state will allow an in-line ML with a bolt or plunger type design that uses a #11 cap?

Don't forget about at least $100 budget (Likely more) for essential accessories (Powder, primers, cleaning and maintenance supplies and tools, projectiles, and so on)
See the thread "ML accessories". I've met several folks that were somewhat surprised when they did not budget for the "essentials" beforehand.

Also, if optics are desired allow at least $150-200 for scope, mount, rings, installation and boresighting.