Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

how much??

Old 12-18-2004, 09:21 PM

Default how much??

ok i have a problem here..i have a nef huntsman 45 cal...i have been doin some reading on it and it says that you want to start out shooting a grain for every caliber..which i start out 45 grains for the 45 caliber right..ok so im gonna be going hunting next week and i dont know how much powder to use..can anyone help me here??
Old 12-18-2004, 10:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: how much??

Being an inline rifle you would be safe starting out at 75 grains and the projectile of choice if you were shooting an inline. Your rifle will need to be tested in order to find the best load possible. Different projectles and powder charges will work different in rifles... Good luck trying
Old 12-18-2004, 10:57 PM

im not sure though..i use the powder wad ball method..i use a .445 ball..ive heard that you dont want to start out using so much powder..start at about 45 and work up at 5 grain increments..im not sure if this is true but its what ive read..if any of you know anything about this plz let me know asap..
Old 12-19-2004, 12:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

You might find that your Huntsman won't shoot roundball very well at all. It is an inline designed to shoot saboted projectiles and has a twist rate and rifling depth for that application. Generally the rifling on a inline like yours is 1-in-24" through 1-in-28", where the optimum roundball twist rate is between 1 turn in 48-70". The rifling depth on slow twist guns also tends to be a lot deeper to grip the patched roundball firmly so the ball and patch don't skip across the rifling. The deeper grooves also make loading easier and allow the fouling a place to go on firing.

I'd suggest that you don't waste too much time and effort trying to shoot roundball in that rifle and go buy sabots or even lead conicals. I'd look at the Hornady XTP's or the Precision Rifle 40cal Dead Centers. I'd also consider in your 45 you might try shooting a lead conical like the Hornady Great Plains bullets. I've had excellent luck with them in the past in terms of accuracy and killing power. They aren't long range bullets, but then again, neither are lead roundballs.

To answer your question, it kindof depends on what type of powder you're using. If you're using real black powder or Pyrodex, I'd suggest you start at about 75 grains and work up from there. If you are using Triple 7 I'd start at 70 and work up. Go up in 5 grain increments for both until you find the best load.

Good luck,

Mike
Old 12-19-2004, 09:33 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: driftrider

You might find that your Huntsman won't shoot roundball very well at all. It is an inline designed to shoot saboted projectiles and has a twist rate and rifling depth for that application. Generally the rifling on a inline like yours is 1-in-24" through 1-in-28", where the optimum roundball twist rate is between 1 turn in 48-70". The rifling depth on slow twist guns also tends to be a lot deeper to grip the patched roundball firmly so the ball and patch don't skip across the rifling. The deeper grooves also make loading easier and allow the fouling a place to go on firing.

I'd suggest that you don't waste too much time and effort trying to shoot roundball in that rifle and go buy sabots or even lead conicals. I'd look at the Hornady XTP's or the Precision Rifle 40cal Dead Centers. I'd also consider in your 45 you might try shooting a lead conical like the Hornady Great Plains bullets. I've had excellent luck with them in the past in terms of accuracy and killing power. They aren't long range bullets, but then again, neither are lead roundballs.

To answer your question, it kindof depends on what type of powder you're using. If you're using real black powder or Pyrodex, I'd suggest you start at about 75 grains and work up from there. If you are using Triple 7 I'd start at 70 and work up. Go up in 5 grain increments for both until you find the best load.

Good luck,

Mike
Good information; however if you select some of the synthetic powders especially Triple Seven or Black Mag3 be advised they are more powerful volume measured grain for volume measured grain than black powder so plan on those loads being 15% or so more powerful. You should be OK up to 90gr. of any synthetic in your rifle but that would be the limit for me in that rifle. Check the owners manual for what they recommend as the maximum load and stay down from that.
Old 12-19-2004, 05:49 PM

well im using elephant black powder 3 Fg..i think ill probably start out at 70 grains but if anyone feels differently give me a hollar..
Old 12-19-2004, 10:06 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbuck15

well im using elephant black powder 3 Fg..i think ill probably start out at 70 grains but if anyone feels differently give me a hollar..
Assuming that you are shooting a 300gr. or less bullet 70 grains (volume measure) should be fine. Much heavier bullets I would start a little lower powder charge. I don't see any reason to shoot much heavier than 300gr. which is what I use for elk. I have shot 348gr. bullets too but not often.