Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Melted Sabot?

Old 12-08-2004, 01:13 PM

Default Melted Sabot?

While seating the second round in my encore, I noticed that it lacked about an inch going all the way down. I removed the breech plug and drove the bullet back out of the barrel. After inspecting the bore, I noticed that there appeared to be melted plastic where the bullet hung up. Was this melted sabot from the first shot, or was it from the second sabot and caused by loading it into a still warm barrel?
I want to try seasoning the barrel, but I'm not quite sure how. I was told to apply Borebutter between shots, but do I clean between applying the Borebutter?

Thanks,
Deerplague
Old 12-08-2004, 01:49 PM

Default RE: Melted Sabot?

My guess is, that if you are using 777 you are experiencing the "crud ring" rather than melted plastic.

I've been using 777 with sabots for about two years now, occaisionally powerbelts too, and see this every time. What I do is use a T/C 250 grain sabot for the first shot and then a power belt for the second. Inside 100 yards they are only a few inches apart and the power belt can be loaded after a shot where as the SST sabots are so tight I don't think there is any way you could load one in a dirty barrel.

You should be able to clean the barrel well enuff after two or three spit patches, and then a good dry one to load another sabot though. After 4 or 5 sabots, you might need some plastic dissolver, there are several brands of this on the market.

I want to experiment with using 3 pellets and a lubed wad under the bullet. I know the lubed wad would cut down on crud, but am hesitant to use three pellets.
R
Hank
Old 12-08-2004, 01:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

deerplague

Just guessing, but it really sounds like the famous "crud ring" formed when firing 777 with a very hot primer...

I do you use bore butter but not between shots, and not with sabots they have their own lubrication system. A lot of people are going to tell not to use BB at all but it works very effectivley at reducing fouling, including plastic fowling if it is used properly. I would add that no BB is better than a lot.

Barrel seasoning into todays metals really isn't probably the best term to use, although that is what BB says. I use the term I "treat" the barrel with BB and I do it with a very hot cleaned barrel, heck I am even treating my shotgun chokes the same way now reducing the plastic fowling they take on dramatically. I beleive that is the true value of BB reducing fouling - and as a side note I would include reducing the "crud ring" - I do not get it at all.

If you would like further dialog on how this individual treats barrels let me know and I will send you or post copy of my routine.

Good luck... and I am sure you will get a lot of hot opinions...
Old 12-08-2004, 03:34 PM

I don't know what a crud ring looks like, but this thing looked like a spot of spattered candle wax on the wall of the bore.
I was telling the salesman at Bass Pro that I thought my sabot was melting, and he started nodding before I finished talking. He said that this is very common and that treating the barrel with about 30 rounds with swabbing BB in between would do the trick.
I trust y'alls opions, so I figured I would ask y'all too.

Thanks,
Deerplague
Old 12-08-2004, 04:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

deerplague

Let's not even worry about the BB thing right now that will be a different battle and a decision only you can make.

So help me out if you have time:

What rifle are you shooting?

What powder and how much are you shooting?

Which primer system are you using? if it is 209 which brand of 209's?

Which bullet?

and which brand of sabots?

Did you recover your sabot? if so what does it look like?

How difficult is it to get the sabot down and seated with a clean barrel?

With these questions answered a much more direct answer can be provided... I would still lean towards "crud ring" but ya never know.....

A suggestion if you plan doing a good deal of shooting pick up a range rod, if you are only going to shoot it for hunting and sighting in stay with your regular ram rod.

look forward to you next post....
Old 12-08-2004, 05:29 PM

i have seen the sabot chewed up from to big a powder load for the type sabot but never a melted one,pick up one you shot and look it over good they fly about 10 yards and hit the ground in front of you when you shoot.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

there's no such thing as seasoning a modern day gun barrel....is it made of cast iron no then it does not need to be seasoned....there's a thing call lapping a barrel....if your talking muzzleloader of any kind then wrap some 0000 steel wool around your cleaning jag and with some gun oil like a cleaning patch and run it up and down bout 50 times....what this does is take off the little burrs that come from rifleing a barrel that are left on the top of the lands of the rifleing....if your comeing up with cut patches after once down and up with your wiping after the shot you may have this problem....like i did have with my T/C hawken barrel....some 0000 steel wool and oil and 40-50 passes with your ram rod it should smooth out your barrel....and unless your barrel is made of cast iron your can't season a barrel....even with my flintlock and cleaning it with hot water to get out any black powder fouling i make sure it's dry and run a patch of gun oil down the barrel just like you would do with a centerfire rifle to keep it from rusting............................bob
Old 12-08-2004, 07:24 PM
Dominant Buck

If your sure it is plastic meltdown from the sabot, then bore butter is not going to solve that. You need to change sabots. You did not mention what kind of sabot your shooting, but I have shot Thompson Center Mag Express sabots with 120 grains of powder and never had any problem. I will guess that your shooting pellets and not loose powder. So I would loose the pellets, and change sabots to something else. Swab between shots and I think your problems will disappear. If need be, you can use a bore brush and scrub the bore between shots.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:14 PM

First of all, thanks for all of the great information.
As for my equipment, I am shooting a T/C Encore with 2 of the regular Pyrodex pellets (not the 777) and Winchester primers. The bullets and sabots that I am having trouble with are the Hornady Lock-N-Loads (the ones with the stem on the sabot that hold the pellets). Sabotloader, I did not think about recovering the sabot.
I am pretty hot that I put down one of the best shooting Hawkens in the world for a new high tech inline that won't even shoot twice without a cleaning in between. It looks like I should have just put a 209 kit and scope on my Hawkens. As you guys know, a gun that has to be swabbed between each shot is of little use on a hunt. I am all about keeping my bore super clean between hunts, but a of this special treatment seems a little too much.
I am considering trying the Hawken's favorites in the Encore (FFF and buffalo balls). Any thoughs. There has to be a simple solution.

Thanks and please keep the great info coming,
Deerplague
Old 12-09-2004, 02:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Instead, get some No Excuses Conicals they are 460 grain and .503 diameter. Load them with about 80 grains of FFFg powder. The accuracy out of my Black Diamond XR is fantastic and I have shot seven in a row without a swab. Anything you hit downrange with one of these is over....

I am wondering if that plastic stem off that lock and load sabot is not melting when the fire come up between the pellets your shooting? Before I curse the rifle, I would try some Thompson Center Mag Express sabots with a 240 or 300 grain XTP bullets and see what happens. Also I would get rid of the pellets. I personally shoot good old fashon Goex FFFg gun powder. And I have fowling but no crud ring. I have a bigger clean up job, but so what. I never took this sport up to wear a white suit and shoot at the range. I also have the cheapest cost powder out there. The powder with the fastest ignition rate, excellent accuracy, excellent water resistance compared to the other powders, and all the smoke and stink a man could want.....

Quick Reply: Melted Sabot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.