Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Is it necessary to fire a cap prior to loading! >

Is it necessary to fire a cap prior to loading!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Is it necessary to fire a cap prior to loading!

Old 11-28-2004, 01:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default Is it necessary to fire a cap prior to loading!

A lot of folks have told me to fire a cap prior to laoding power when gun has not been fires recently. I have done this at the range, no problem. But when arriving at hunting location, I don't want to fire a cap, nor do I want to cary a loaded gun in the truck.

What do you folks do?

Thanks for suggestions
Old 11-28-2004, 01:43 PM

Default RE: Is it necessary to fire a cap prior to loading!

Just make sure the barrel is clean and dry. Dry patch it a couple of times prior to hunting.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks MikeE51848! That's what I will do
Old 11-28-2004, 02:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Simple! Pop a couple of caps on the nipple BEFORE you leave home. Then carry your rifle in a hard case where no moisture or oil can get into the breech area. Do this AFTER you have dry-patched it as Mike suggested.

The reason why this is required is because merely dry-patching the bore will NOT ensure there's no oil or moisture in the breechplug-drum area, nor will it ensure the flash channel is clear. Whenever you pop a cap or two on the nipple before loading, always hold the muzzle down and near a light object, like a leaf or cleaning patch, and observe that the blast from the cap is moving this object, proving that your flash channel is clear. If you have a rifle with a removeable breech plug like these newfangled inline contraptions have, remove the breechplug and dry out the flash channel and nipple thoroughly with a clean, dry patch and you can skip the cap-popping drill completely.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:47 PM
Fork Horn

I always dry patch the barrel, remove the nipple and run a pipe cleaner in it, also remove the clean-out screw and take a pipe cleaner to the flash channel. Have never had a misfire that way and it saves caps.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:45 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds like SOUND advice, Thank YOU very much!!!!
Old 11-28-2004, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Actually, firing 3 caps is the best safeguard. Do it on your front porch before you leave your property... makes a cap-gun type noise... not loud enough to wake rural neighbors.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:32 PM
Typical Buck

I fire off 3 caps in my garage beforeI go out, I then load my gun but don't put on a new cap until I get to my hunting location.
Old 11-28-2004, 08:42 PM
Dominant Buck

I am a firm believer in the two or three caps before loading. It makes sure the nipple is clean and the fire channel open. I check it by putting a clean patch on a ramrod jag and pushing it to the bottom of the breech. Pop the three caps and you can check the amount of fire you are getting down there.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

firing a cap prior to loading is for only one reason, sometime after a cleaning your gun some patch fibers or lubricant can get into the nipple and you want it clear before you load the gun, I know you wouldnt want your shot on a buck of a life time to be compromised because of a little lube in the nipple that caused your gun to go "click, pop sfiss" when you pulled the trigger.

Quick Reply: Is it necessary to fire a cap prior to loading!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.