Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Breech plug lube

Old 11-19-2004, 01:16 PM

Default Breech plug lube

I used TC breech plug lube on the plug of my Knight and on the touch-hole screw threads of my TC Hawken flint. After firing both at the range, I had a moderately difficult time removing both for cleaning. Was wondering if something in the lube is causing a seizing action. Neither item was tightened too much, IMO. In fact, the breech plug was just hand-tightened, per instructions.
Opinions?
Old 11-19-2004, 01:24 PM

Default RE: Breech plug lube

i used tc lube on my knight mk 85 and it works fine but my encore breech plug is so hard to get out i have to use a socket and a pull handle to get it out.
Old 11-19-2004, 02:00 PM

I use automotive anti-seize grease on my Omega’s breech plug and I have no problems removing the breech plug after shooting. It takes a little pressure to break the plug loose, but nothing substantial. The first time I shot my Omega I had used the lube T/C sent with the gun and the breech plug was much harder to break loose afterwards. I’ve been using automotive anti-seize grease ever since.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use automotive anti-seize. Permatex brand to be specific. Just think, your mechanic puts it on your spark plugs so they will come back out someday. How many "shots" do you think a spark plug takes in it's life?
The only thing that makes my breechplug hard to crack is tightening it down hard to begin with.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:10 PM

I never had any problems using knight breech plug grease
I am shooting two flinters,sidelock percussion and a inline plugs alway remove easy,the key is not to send it home ,just snug im.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:27 PM
Dominant Buck

I am a firm believer in using CVA Slick Breech Plug and Nipple Grease. I used that T/C stuff when I first got the Black Diamond and ended up with two cases of stuck breech plug. One was so stuck I snapped the T/C breech plug wrench that came with the rifle trying to get it out.....

Since switching to the CVA stuff I have never had a problem. I use it on my breech plugs, nipples, and bolster clean out screw threads and have never had any problem backing them out.

I have tried about everything except Slick 50 one grease, but I do have a tube of it. When the CVA runs out I will give it a try.... The Auto parts stuff worked, but was too messy for my tastes.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

MikeE51848

I too once used the anti-sieze products but I have ventured off in another direction but it sure works for me - no mess - no fus - no contamination of powder - easy clean up...

I did stop in @ Home Depot this weekend and picked up a couple different varieties of their high pressure tape. Much cheaper than TC tape. The pictures show TC tape.

This is a post that I wrote several weeks back....

I was reading an article by Toby Bridges and he was talking about wrapping a Savage breech Plug head to toe - So this is the post I wrote... This is just my opinion and results - your might be different...

This subject came up again on another forum. This the information I posted and it WORKS, anyway on my four inlines. I really don not even worry about siezed plugs - I shoot several rounds each trip to the rock pit.

The following picture shows my efforts as explained below.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...BreechPlug.jpg

This is one of those things that I have really been forunate with. When I go to the range I shoot 30-40 shots 100 grains of loose t7 with 209 primers. I shoot 2 Remingtons and 2 A&H's. With all four of these guns I beleive I have the breech plug thing whipped. I do not loosen or even fool around with the breech plug at the range. When I get home and get to it I turn it (them) out with very little pressure. I have tried several anti sieze products, and anti sieze with tape, even tried the finger tight thing, but have settled on just TC's tape - one wrap.

From the two sidelocks that I built I think I have learned something.... I believe the the face of the breech plug should mate up with the face flange of the barrel, if this mating is clean and tight, this mating should stop gasses from going back into the threads of your breech plug. I have blackened the face of my breech plugs screwed them in snuggly against the barrel flange - back them back out and checked the black to see if contact had been made all the way around. The 2 Remingtons and one of the A&H's showed that there was good contact all the way around on the plug. One A&H seemed to have a very small non-contact spot. The next thing I do is start wrapping Teflon tape from the barrel end of the plug back to the nipple end. The key for me is that begining wrap - when I am done wrapping the tape on the barrel end of the plug it should extend out from the plug - I then push and press the tape down on the face of the plug - instert it into the threads and I tighten it snuggly against the barrel flange - not tight - do not want to tear the teflon, but make it snug because you need to compress the teflon a bit. If you look down into the barrel with a barrel light you should see the teflon all the way around the breech plug in the barrel. Your very first shot will drive that excess teflon back up into any gaps there might be and your threads are sealed... (the teflon might even cover the flash hole when your done wrapping) Popping one cap will take care of that.

That is my formula it has worked well for me - but every rifle is different so I can't say it will work for you all. I really believe it all comes down to how well the face of the plug and the face of the barrel mate up.

Good luck in your search for information....
Old 11-19-2004, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

CVA Breechplug & Nipple Grease
Old 11-21-2004, 09:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use CVA, however availability seems to be an issue at times here, so then I revert to pink teflon tape. The standard (white) stuff is not durable enough IME.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can also substitute your pink teflon with yellow "gas" tape. Actually, the yellow has higher temp protection too. CVA Breechplug & Nipple Grease is easy to find here in Michigan... most stores carry it. You'll find a million hits on it using web Google-type search engines too.

Quick Reply: Breech plug lube

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.