Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Newbie questions

Old 11-10-2004, 09:35 PM

Default Newbie questions

This will be my first year hunting with a blackpowder, I will be hunting the late muzzleloader season here in Iowa. I was wondering what do you use to carry your primers? Do you leave them in the holders they come in and carry 50 of them at a time. Does it hurt to carry them in a container loose, they won't go off will they? I use a CVA Optima so I don't really need a capping tool but have been concidering one just to carry some primers in. Just curios, since I still have a little over a month before season starts I have some time to figure something out.

Thanks for the input
Old 11-10-2004, 09:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Newbie questions

The Dog Bone Capper is what I use to carry the primers with me. I load up the Dog Bone and put that in my shirt pocket and in an Altoids tin I have some projectiles and sabots. Then my small horn and powder measure and I am ready to shoot 10 times in the field. If I can get it done with 10 shots, I'm going home....[]
Old 11-11-2004, 12:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

This is what I use to hold my 209's.

Old 11-11-2004, 08:36 AM

Dog bone here too ......holds four on each end and like 5 in the middle.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:09 PM
Fork Horn

Primers can go off and I would not keep them loose in your pocket. Though new to ML I have reloaded smokeless for years and have seen pictures of containers of primers blowing up and maiming people.

Hope I did not scare you but buy a primer tool and play it safe.

My 2 cents
Eric
Old 11-23-2004, 08:52 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm going to go and find some sort of a carrier this weekend. Only 2 1/2 weeks till I get to go deer hunting again.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:53 AM
Fork Horn

Hunting with blackpowder, nothing like it. Good luck on your hunt.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:20 PM

I as well would Profoundly WARN YOU from carrying primers loose. I have a Optima as well. I'm currently using speed loaders and theones that I'm using have a place for the primer that holds it securly. DO NOT CARRY THE PRIMERS LOOSE IN YOUR POCKET OR ANY CONTAINER OTHER THAN ONE DESIGNED TO DO SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Good luck, What part of Iowa you hunting?
Old 12-21-2004, 04:35 PM

Didn't get an email that anyone else had replied so sorry for the late reply. I hunt about 1 hour west of Iowa City during the shotgun season, and during muzzleloader will hunt mainly in the Des Moines area but hope to get up to NE Iowa around Volga Lake.

I couldn't find one like I was looking for before the shotgun season hit so I just left them in the box they came in. Very inconvient, had to take my gloves off to get a primer out. Hope to have one bought by late muzzleloader, already started but I'm not going out till after christmas.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:54 PM

ORIGINAL: firsttimeelkhunter

DO NOT CARRY THE PRIMERS LOOSE IN YOUR POCKET OR ANY CONTAINER OTHER THAN ONE DESIGNED TO DO SO!!!!

I never knew this.I always have just stuck about 3 in my pocket and went on.How dangerous of a deal is this?

Quick Reply: Newbie questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.