Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 new frontier beartooth inline >

new frontier beartooth inline

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

new frontier beartooth inline

Old 11-10-2004, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default new frontier beartooth inline

this is supposed to be a no frills version of the cva optima. bass pro had them for 99$ i got one as a gift for my brother. anyone use one ? they were 149$ so i though it was a good deal.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:45 PM
Spike

Default RE: new frontier beartooth inline

Ive got the beartooth. I haven't seen many people an the posts say many good or bad things about it but it loads easy, and shoots great.
I've shot powerbelts and T/C XTP Mag sabots out of it. The XTP's seem to have a tighter pattern. It's not an encore or an omega but heck, for $100 you can't beat it.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

You should be able to work-up a nice 100 grain load for that Beartooth. Just follow some hints from prior Optima posts here. Just try to avoid magnum loads of 120 grains or more... after-all it is a sub-$100 priced rifle that ignites gun powder right next to your face.

Be cool with it -- clean it immaculately & it may last a lifetime.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

the cva rep. told me that they are made in the same factory and have everything an optima has but no bells or whistles. i plan on trying 100 grains of pyrodex pellets with the hornady xtp.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: new <span class="high">frontier</span> beartooth inline

I have the beartooth, and the gun is more than adequate for me. It shoots 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards with 2x Triple 7 50 grain pellets and a 245 grain powerbelt. It has killed several deer for me. I will be going out tonight to buy some accessories for it.....Vermont ML opener is coming after I get back from the first week in PA and I will be out there with my beartooth.

The only problem I have had with it is that it seems to be more prone to rust than my other rifles.....we had a leak in the plumbing this winter in the room I store guns in, and the beartooth was the only one that ended up with surface rust. I cleaned it back up real good and got all the rust off and noe keep it in one of those silicone Remington gun sleeves and no more problems.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:04 PM

Ordered one myself. Cabela's must have screwed up. If you check their site you'll see they have the gun plain for $149.99. But when you check a little further, they have it with a Cabela's Pine Ridge 2-1/2 - 7 x 32 scope for - Guess what $149.99!! They have the kit for first timers who need all the stuff for $239.99 - $90 for a flask, borecleaner and sabots? No thanks

If you are in the market for a Beartooth cut and paste or slick this mess below to go right to the page on their site.

By the way, who needs 150 grains of powder? I plan to shoot 2 x 50 777 pellets and a 295 Powerbelt. This should group well if I got one with a good trigger. (Common BPI production problem). I know it is not an Encore, but it can kill just as many deer. Now if I was also going for moose or elk I'd want to get a top quality gun and should a fat long bullet with 3 50's pushing it. Wish I was, but I'm just killin' whitetail within 100 yards.

PS, I don't recommend 150 grains in any gun from BPI (CVA, Traditions, Winchester, New Frontier). BUT THEY WILL KILL DEER!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...87&Ntk=Product
Old 12-04-2004, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

i see i got mine at the right time. bass pro raised the price back up so 99$ was a killer deal. i have looked at the optimas in wally world and to me it looks like the same gun without the fiber optic sites. i wouldnt be afraid to use this on any hunt with the right load.im done keeping up with the jonses but that new knight and the omega looks tempting
Old 12-05-2004, 06:37 PM

I didn't mind the buck and a half for a gun w/scope.

Have you fired it yet or is a Christmas present or something. I will be firing mine on Wednseday. I bore sited the scope today - just by looking down the barrel. I know it will take some time to get out to 100 yards, but I'll get it there.

Just got done dialin' in a new rifled slug barrel with a 3x9x40 scope. It was much quicker since you don't have to clean after each shot!
Old 12-23-2004, 12:59 PM

Last night my new Beartooth lost its virginity in the woods to a nice 85 pound spiker. Hey, it barked when it was supposed to and the PowerBelt busted up bone and devilered just fine.

Now my other BP gun will have to sit in the closet while I take the N.F. Beartooth up my tree again next week.

My freezer is shrinking...
Old 12-23-2004, 01:06 PM
Typical Buck

Well done on both the deal and the spike!

Quick Reply: new frontier beartooth inline

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.