Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Covering the end of the muzzle >

Covering the end of the muzzle

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Covering the end of the muzzle

Old 11-04-2004, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default Covering the end of the muzzle

I have seen many times here suggestions to cover the muzzle with tape or a balloon. Doesn't having something over the end of the muzzle affect the accuracy?

I will be hunting in Idaho, and my pack has a place to put the gun, so the hands remain free, but it does mean it will be carried muzzle up. I want to protect the load, but I also will need every bit of accuracy I can get.

Am I all worked up about nothing?
Old 11-04-2004, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Covering the end of the muzzle

Balloons and tape do not affect accuracy... go to WalMart's 1st aid section and buy finger cots. Finger cots are latex coverings for your fingers, $1.97 for 3 different sizes.

I used balloons until I read about these.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nope it will not effect the POI in any way. I use electrical tape on my ML and CF bore's, but other things will work too. The key is elasticity, the pressure or gas blows the tape/other prior to the bullet reaching it and therefore the bullet flys true to it's target.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:08 AM
bigcountry

You know, taping may or may not cause any accuracy issues. I may be so minicule, that it doesn't matter. But what I have a hard time understanding is the need too? Especially shooting todays sabots. I bet you could fill my barrel to the top with water with me shooting my 250gr barnes Expanders and my powder would be dry as a bone. These newer sabots seem to have an extremely tight fit and along with a 209, rain shouldn't be an issue. I have never taped, but have killed deer in rain. Maybe I am just lucky.

Even if you shoot a conical, I can't see it being a big deal

Old 11-04-2004, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good Idea on the fingers cots.

I've used balloons on many ocassions but never saw anything to shoot on those occasions.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:22 AM
Fork Horn

I have shot my last three deer with a balloon at the end of the muzzle, I use them rain or shine... just to keep the barrel clear.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:06 PM

Taping muzzles actually has it roots way back in the military, and in a lot of rugged areas today, people who spend lots of time in the woods, guides, etc, routinely tape muzzles heavily...mainly to avoid accidently plugging the muzzle with mud, snow, etc without realizing it.
The compressed air preceeding the projectile bursts the tape befiore the projectile gets there...I've test fired shots at the range and saw no change in accuracy at all
Old 11-04-2004, 05:17 PM

I use those little yellow foam earplugs. I used to able to get them at work for free. They work pretty well.

Paul
Old 11-05-2004, 11:34 AM
Fork Horn

Never have seen the need to tape one around here. Can't see any water getting past my patched ball or REAL bullet and on the cap end I use "Quick Seal". Never has let me down.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Paul I am not sure I would want to stuff anything into my bore due to the possibility of increased pressure. The tape, ballon or whatever are on the exterior so this is a non issue but when you put a foam ear plug inside you could be asking for trouble.

BC, you might be right and I don't know b/c I tape my bore all the time. The main reason is to ensure they don't get mud, ice, snow, etc in them, b/c of the area/enviroment and I only hunt on the ground. It is just become a habit for me, like putting on your wooly's. It may not do anything 99% but the 1% is why I don't chance it.

Quick Reply: Covering the end of the muzzle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.