Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight bighorn

Old 10-21-2004, 09:46 AM

Default Knight bighorn

Just wondering what you guys thought about this rifle. Also wondering if anyone knows why it was discontinued? THere is a used one for sale for $225 with a tasco scop on it, and a 209 conversion kit. good deal or no?
Old 10-21-2004, 12:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Knight bighorn

That was a real workhorse for the Knight Rifle Company. It was known to be a good shooter. You can still find them new here and there. Before you buy any used rifle be sure and inspect it real close. Pull the breech plug and inspect the barrel for rust pitting and such.

Although that is probably a good deal, there are some excellent deals on Knight Rifles around the internet right now. I believe you should check at Natchez.Com. They had some excellent rifles for around $179.00 after the Knight $50.00 rebate.

As for the Tasco Scope. The older model Tasco scopes were actually a very good scope. In fact I have one on a 7mm mag and on a 30-06 but we are talking 20 year old scopes and they still function and shoot great. For some reason the new ones seem to be lacking. They either work or they fail. There are better scopes out there and believe me, a muzzleloader will put one through the tests....

So is that a good deal... Well if the rifle is in great condition, they were an excellent shooter. 80 grains of Triple Se7en and a Hornady 240 grain XTP and your in there .... Two people I talk with on line have Bighorns.. in fact they just bought them new, in the box. They love them. I will ask and see where they got them if you like....
Old 10-21-2004, 09:05 PM
Spike

That one sounds familiar! If it is the one I am thinking of, I know that the person selling it will not allow you to be disappointed. If not what you thought it was, just send it back in same condition and get your money back.

This one from Natchez has the short barrel.

Natchezss
Old 10-22-2004, 08:36 AM
KCB

I've got a Bighorn and I like it. I was just finishing sighting it in yesterday and can make 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards no problem. I'm shooting 100 grains of Pyrodex with a 300 grain Hornady XTP and it has worked out great. Mine is still shooting caps. Since the 209 conversion is about $50 and I've never, ever had an ignition problem, I just can't justify spending the money.

The only thing I will say negative about them is they aren't the easiest rifles to clean. I know some of the newer in-lines, particularly the break-open barrel rifles, are easier. The Bighorn requires that you remove some screws and things to clean it right. Not a problem, but if you're in a hurry or don't like cleaning guns (like me) it can be tedious. Not hard, just a little more time consuming then others. Overall, I love it and it shoots great.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:01 PM

I owned the Bighorn B4 by Omega....great gun, very accurate, I shot 100gr pyrodex and 240 gr hornady. I would spend the 50 for the 209 conversion kit...you will not be sorry
Old 11-06-2004, 12:45 PM

I have one that came with the 209, #11, and musket nipples. I'm looking to sell this rifle as I want an Encore. It's stainless with fiber optic sights. I have had it for 2.5 years and it's first trip to the woods was this year. Shoots 1.5@100 with 90grs of loose 777 under a Hornady 240gr XTP. I have all papers and tools. I was asking 175.00 for it plus shipping.