Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 best muzloader for the buck >

best muzloader for the buck

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

best muzloader for the buck

Old 09-30-2004, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default best muzloader for the buck

wonder if u experts could help me out i want to purchase a muzzleloader for my deer season this year!!! was wondering which gun should i get i was told to get eaither a knight or the tc omega!! but then i also heard the kodiak magnum by cva was as good as the omega and for alot cheaper!!! also if i get one should i buy the companies scope combantion or get a seperate scope!!! also whats some good ammo for those guns!!! hope you guys can help me out!!

GOOD HUNTING
Old 09-30-2004, 06:52 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: best muzloader for the buck

I would NEVER get the scope that comes as a package unless it is a name brand and meets certain standards. They are normally (not always) of low end quality for light gathering and eye relief. With muzzleloaders, eye relief is an important factor that needs to be taken into consideration. If the scope did not have at least 3.5 inchs I would not even consider it. I would rather see one with 4 inches or better. Also the power you choose is a preference but one you should consider depending on the kind of shots you might take.

Reference the rifles themselves. Knight Revolution or Disc Extremes are great rifles no doubt. So are the rifles made by Thompson Center Arms. Are they better then say a CVA Optima or Kodiak, I am sure you would get CVA owners who would argue that issue with you. What you need to do is get to a store and shoulder some of these rifles. See how they fit and balance to you. All of them will do a good job for you. Also take into consideration how much you are really going to shoot the rifle, and how much you really want to spend. Don't buy a inexpensive rifle just because it is cheap. You will often times have only that a cheap rifle that disappoints you. On the other hand, I bought some low dollar rifles, but before I did I handled them and liked what I saw for features. If this is for a five extra day hunt then the CVA might be just fine.

The rifles will all shoot sabots well. CVA are made to shoot powerbelts for the most part, but the other rifles do a good job with them also. What you need to do is after you pick the rifle try some of the different projectiles that appeal to you and see how they shoot. I am sure you will have to experiment with powder charges and other things like sabot brands but in the end you will get a good shooter....

good luck. By the way I am no expert just my opinions....
Old 10-01-2004, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

For a "cheaper" gun, I have heard good things about NEF. Don't look past the used rack. You can find good deals on used guns of all brands. The great majority are not "shot out".
Old 10-01-2004, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Read the thread here on "Knight Rifle Deals"
Old 10-01-2004, 07:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Triple Se7en.....[:@] I sure wish you would not post such sights like that.... do you have any idea how hard it is not to purchase that rifle... WOW what a deal.... Did you buy one yet?
Old 10-01-2004, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

No! I promised the wifey back in June "No More Rifles For This Year".

In 2005, I may buy a thumbhole stock for the Omega & another Green Mountain barrel for the T/C stock I have sitting idle without a barrel, but that may be the extent of it for next year.