Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 TO THE RANGE WITH THE IN-LINE AND FLINTLOCK!! >

TO THE RANGE WITH THE IN-LINE AND FLINTLOCK!!

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TO THE RANGE WITH THE IN-LINE AND FLINTLOCK!!

Old 09-23-2004, 11:02 AM

Default TO THE RANGE WITH THE IN-LINE AND FLINTLOCK!!

hey guys i am really pleased today and just wanted to let you guys know that have been giving me advice. i shot my cva optima 50 cal three shots at 100 yards and hit all three shots in a circle the size of a baseball, very pleased. using 100 grains of pyrodex pellets, and 295 grain powerbelt hollowpoint bullets, with a simmons 3x9-40mm scope. then i loaded up my cva flintlock with 90 grains of goex ff powder, with the same powerbelt bullets as used in the inline and shot two shots at 50 yards one with a rest, and one off hand both shots were in the same circle on the target as the in-line, both of them in a circle the size of a baseball yoo. then i came home and had a long cleaning session and put them back in the gun cabinet, now i think i am ready for deer season. so thanks to all of you you helped me with tips and advice.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: TO THE RANGE WITH THE IN-LINE AND FLINTLOCK!!

That's great!
I'm goin shooting in about an hour from now, with my flint. I'll let you know tomorrow how it went.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: TO THE RANGE WITH THE IN-LINE AND FLINTLOCK!!

Got back, cleaned the gun, replaced the flint, all set for next time.
I had a good time. Shot a decent group at fifty yards. Took the target down and put it up at 100 yards. Shot right in the same group! I didn't think POI would be that close in 50 vs. 100, but it is. Surprised me! By the way, I took my brother with me. One shot and he is now shopping for a flintlock! I wonder if the FDA is gonna regulate flinting as an addictive drug? Seemed like tonight the lock time was instantaneous. Could be that I'm more disciplined about priming technique now, who knows.

One side note: On one of the times I loaded the gun for my brother, I accidentally wiped the flint and frizzen with one of the windex patches instead of an alcohol patch. Needless to say, it did NOTHING. Not even the slightest spark. I realized right away what I did, hehehe... I wiped it with alcohol, handed it back to him, and BOOM. ( I just wanted to see if he flinched, that's what I told him)