Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 New to Ml - Difference between &&& FFG and FFFG? >

New to Ml - Difference between &&& FFG and FFFG?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New to Ml - Difference between &&& FFG and FFFG?

Old 09-07-2004, 07:50 AM

Default New to Ml - Difference between &&& FFG and FFFG?

This is a great forum! I'm new to ML and just purchased a Knight Revolution for this coming fall. I also purchased some 777 pellets and loose 777 in FFFg. What is the difference between 777 FFg and FFFg in the loose powder form? I plan to experiment with different powder/bullet combinations to determine the best combination for my rifle for deer hunting.

Thanks,
SkipD
Old 09-07-2004, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New to Ml - Difference between &&& FFG and FFFG?

fffg is finer in particle size versus ffg. The more "f" the finer the powder.
I use ffg in the barrel, ffffg in the pan on a flintlock. I don't know if anyone uses fffg 777 in the barrel, but they do make it.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

FFG powder is typically designed for rifle barrels. The FFFG is designed for pistols because of the shorter barrel length. FFFFG is designed for ignition in flintlock rifles, to make ignition as rapid as possible. Livbucks is right, the more the f's the finer the powder.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also the finer the granule size, the more energetic will be the powder. FFFg is more energetic than FFg so long as we are talking the same powder brand and type. If you sighted in with 100 grains by volume of FFg and then switched to FFFg, you would need to reduce your powder charge about 10% to achieve similar performance.

There are many variations in powders so far as strength of charge. Goex black is much less energetic than Swiss black, for example. Pyrodex is more energetic than some black and less than others. Triple7 is probably the hottest - a contest might be in order between it and Swiss black.

And then there are pellets - a whole different set of rules apply.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:43 AM
Dominant Buck

The way to rememer it is;
Pyrodex RS is FFg grade. RS stands for rifle and shotgun.

Pyrodex P is their FFFg grade and the P stands for Pistol.

Fg grade is commonly cannon powder.

FFFFg grade is a priming powder.

P is 15% stronger then RS.

Many people shoot FFFg in their rifles. The reason they claim is, it burns cleaner and produces better pressures and less fowling. I personally shoot FFFg in my sidelocks and inlines when they are .50 caliber and under. All you have to remember is to reduce the load approximately 15% from what you would shoot with FFg. Actually the easy way to remember using Goex FFFg is consider it
Triple Se7en FFg. As your aware, in loose form, Triple Se7en is 15% stronger then Pyrodex RS or Goex FFg.

People that shoot flintlock rifles almost always shoot Goex or other brands of Black Powder because of the low ignition of the substance. I shoot Goex in all my rifles. Besides the cost, I like the way it shoots and cleaning the muzzleloader was never an issue with me.
Old 09-08-2004, 02:04 PM

I seen a Very Old Can, of Goex fffffg at a Yard Sale. I should have bought it, as a Relic from the Past.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wildweasel

I seen a Very Old Can, of Goex fffffg at a Yard Sale. I should have bought it, as a Relic from the Past.
You should have taken it home and filled the pepper shaker. That would add a little show to a candlelight dinner!
Old 09-08-2004, 06:41 PM

Anyone have a Idea, when Goex, stopped Production of 5 f ?
Old 09-08-2004, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Skip

I use 777 FFF in all my various ML rifles from 45 to 58 caliber.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:40 PM
Typical Buck

I've done a fair bit of experimenting with 2 and 3fg 777 powder and have found them to shoot almost identically. Both cuts are very fine and the pressure difference between the 2 of them is VERY small - Hodgdon even shows muzzle velocities almost identical between the 2 cuts on otherwise identical loads.

In my Knight, heavy bullets shoot tighter groups with the 3fg 777, but bullets 300gr and lighter give me better groups with 2fg - this is using sabot bullets only, as I haven't gotten my No Excuses conicals yet to experiment with them ( I think hurricane Frances might have eaten my order ).

NOW - if you try Pyrodex or true black powders....................make sure you reduce any 3fg loads - as there IS a significant difference in 2fg & 3fg cuts in those powders.

Quick Reply: New to Ml - Difference between &&& FFG and FFFG?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.