Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 PENNSYLVANIA GUYS AND GALS? >

PENNSYLVANIA GUYS AND GALS?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

PENNSYLVANIA GUYS AND GALS?

Old 09-07-2004, 05:05 AM

Default PENNSYLVANIA GUYS AND GALS?

I AM JUST STARTING TO GET INTO THE WONDERFUL SPORT OF MUZZLELOADING, FOR YOUS EXPERTS OUT THEIR I AM TORN BETWEEN AN IN-LINE, OR A FLINTLOCK THE RESONS. 1, YOU CAN ONLY USE AN IN-LINE FOR 1 WEEK IN MID- OCTOBER IN PA, 2. A FLINTLOCK YOU CAN USE IN THE EARLY SEASON OR THE SECOND SEASON AFTER CHRISTMAS, NOW IS THIS A NO-BRAINER TO GO WITH THE FLINTLOCK OR NOT? THE FLINTLOCK THAT I AM THINKING ON GETTING IS THE PA PELLET HUNTER IS THIS A GOOD FLINTLOCK OR NOT? THE IN-LINE I AM LOOKING AT IS THE OPTIMA, IN CASE YOU READ MY POSTS BEFORE I WAS GOING WITH AN ENCORE BUT FOR FINANCIAL REASONS THINGS FELL THROUGH. I NEED ADVICE ASAP SO I CAN GET ONE OR THE OTHER TO GET PRACTICING SOON. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PENNSYLVANIA GUYS AND GALS?

Hello

I think it is a no brainer. If you get the flint you will be able to use it alot more in PA. I bought a PA pellet back in May of this year and I love it. I plan to hunt the late season after Christmas in PA. I looked at all the guns and settled on the Traditions. Learning to shoot a flint is not as hard as one might think. Even though the gun is designed to shoot pellets, save yourself the expense and misfires and use only loose powder. I don't believe that pellets offer any real convenience over loose. It is no real hassle to measure out charges and when you go hunting you can pre-measure them and put it in a speed loader or film canister. I have been shooting 777 80grains ffg in the barrel with a Powerbelt 295gr copper hollowpoint. I use Goex ffffg blackpowder in the pan. This combo seems real good, accurate out of this gun and the powerbelts are a dream to load. I bought my gun at D&R Sports online. I got the nickel barrel with camo synthetic stock for $230. Seems like a real nice gun for the money.You can get this gun alot cheaper if you go with blue barrel and wood stock. Ask alot of questions here and you will get alot of help. I gained years of experience in a matter of days from the guys here. Good luck!
Old 09-08-2004, 08:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Outback - I'm in PA too and I'd say go with the flintlock if you can only buy one. Not too sure of the PA pellet. I have 2 T/C Hawken models (flint), a CVA Optima Pro (in-line) and my latest a Lyman Deerstalker (flint - left hand).
Out of them all, I like the Deerstalker the best. Probably cause its a left hand flint. Now I don't have the pan going off in front of my nose. This was a bit of an accuracy deterent for obvious reasons. Shooting the flints are no problem. All you have to do is when your hunting in damp weather, change the powder in your pan often and I usually carry a silicon treated rag with me to cover the frizzen and lock if it rains or snows. I have it held in place with a rubber band so I can yank it off in a hurry if I need to.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

I wouold go with the flintlock. I always take a week vacation just to hunt the late season. It's my favorite time to hunt.Before you buy your ML take a look at the lyman deerstalker. I think it's the best choice for a flintlock today.Usually midsouth shooters supply has them the cheapest.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

By all means, get a GOOD flintlock!! They're a lot more fun, and plenty reliable if you know what you're doing. I have talked to some people who bought a flintlock pellet-shooter. They said the guns worked OK, BUT NOT WITH PELLETS!! They had to use regular loose black powder in them.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:20 PM

Thanks guys for all your advice, i bought a cva pa hunter flintlock off a buddy of mine , camo stainless barrel, with everything needed to use all cleaning and shooting accesories for 100.00, i thought this was a steal. originally i wanted one with a removable breech plug for more ease of cleaning, but for $100 i will deal with being harder to clean, what do you guys think of this muzzleloader if yous might know. and how hard and what is the best way to clean this gun. thank you, remember for all the questions i am a newbie to this sport.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

dont know anything about that gun.....but you got a decint deal id say......i shot a tc hawken i bought used in great shape......i got over 500 into the gun and accessories now......within a year....and im not done! lol....but i did alot of work to the gun to pretty it up and lock work......dont feel bad asking questions.......we all had to do it......i had to be the bigest PIA there was for a while.....but what i learned from these guys puts me up there with the guys that been flinting all their lives.....i learned more tricks and tips then i ever though possible......theres some great guys here! post away